4 bar linkage gripper compared to other grippersadvantages/disadvantages

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linkage
In summary, the 4 bar linkage is kinda in between-- I think so anyway. We're making lots of educated guesses. I was hoping for some verifications.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
I'm trying to figure out info about 4 bar linkage.. I've ended up reading some technical info but nothing specific about parameters I need for a project like accuracy, reliability, cost.. etc. compared to other gripper mechanics (like parallel guidance and angular grip)

Does anyone have possibly helpful resource or feedback about it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you need to expand a little...
What 4 bar linkage are you talking about?
Which alternatives are you considering?

I like Serena said:
I think you need to expand a little...

I'm glad that someone else said that. I haven't responded to this because I thought that not grasping the question would make me appear stupid. I know of several different types of 4-link set-ups, and only one of them seemed appropriate to this case. The problem with that is that a 2-link would be moreso.
I prefer a parallel straight-line system for a gripper. Like a carpenter's wood clamp. The problem with a 2 (or more)-link as I see it is that it moves linearly while closing, which then has to be compensated for by the rest of the arm receding. The clamp type just closes on the target with no adjustment.

Which alternatives are you considering?

The alternatives are parallel guidance (with a double threaded spindle) and angular grip, the most basic one

What 4 bar linkage are you talking about?

Lemniscate guidance in the added pic

I'm glad that someone else said that. I haven't responded to this because I thought that not grasping the question would make me appear stupid. I know of several different types of 4-link set-ups, and only one of them seemed appropriate to this case. The problem with that is that a 2-link would be moreso.
I prefer a parallel straight-line system for a gripper. Like a carpenter's wood clamp. The problem with a 2 (or more)-link as I see it is that it moves linearly while closing, which then has to be compensated for by the rest of the arm receding. The clamp type just closes on the target with no adjustment.

Yes, so far we got

parallel guidance: more expensive, more accurate, heavier and bigger than angular

Angular: less expensive, less accurate, lighter and smaller than parallel

And the 4 bar linkage is kinda in between-- I think so anyway. We're making lots of educated guesses. I was hoping for some verifications.

There are 2 more aspects though we are considering - credibility and performances. I'm not sure what performances mean -- it probably contains a lot of features like velocity, chances of breaking down...etc

Attachments

• thisstuff.jpg
    thisstuff.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 3,012
Femme_physics said:
parallel guidance (with a double threaded spindle)

That is unnecessarily complicated. I use two guide rods with a single lead screw in between them. It's very cheap and simple.edit: Hmmm... I should perhaps ensure that you meant what I thought that you did by the term "double threaded spindle". I took it to be parallel jaws with 2 lead screws controlling them. (Nothing in your illustration looks familiar to me.)

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I now understand what you meant by "double threaded". I've used that, but only for scissors mechanisms.
I'll get into Inkscape and draw up what I'm talking about. It's a screwy process, because I have to take a picture of the screen and upload it to ImageShack. There's a strong possibility that what I have in mind is too primitive for your purposes, given the complexity of the one in your post.
Bathroom first, then drawing, then I'll get back to you.

edit: Change of plan. Sleep first, then drawing, then I'll get back to you.
Actually, I probably don't need to draw anything. I might be able to modify your picture with words. Think of your left-hand jaw as an immobile part of the framework. The right-hand jaw is on a single threaded lead-screw. There's no need for the bearing block in the middle.
That's a mighty peculiar pair of jaws in your picture. Ugly as hell, but efficient.

Last edited:
Ohh..neat. :) Well if you had solidworks I could've loaded the software file ...I like the initiative, at any rate. Keeping a close watch now

Well, as I said, I have to sleep first. I don't know where you are, but it's 6:45 am my time, and I've been awake for almost an hour only because my cat jumped on me. I went to bed at about 3:00.
Catch you later.

Any news?
Did you already make a selection?
Or better yet, did you draw something in solidworks? :cool:

What is a 4 bar linkage gripper and how does it work?

A 4 bar linkage gripper is a type of robotic gripper that uses four connected bars to open and close the jaws of the gripper. One end of the bars is fixed while the other end can move, creating a pivoting motion that controls the opening and closing of the gripper.

What are the advantages of a 4 bar linkage gripper compared to other types of grippers?

One advantage of a 4 bar linkage gripper is its simplicity and reliability. It has fewer moving parts compared to other grippers, making it less prone to mechanical failures. Additionally, the 4 bar linkage design allows for a strong and precise grip on objects.

Are there any disadvantages to using a 4 bar linkage gripper?

While 4 bar linkage grippers are effective for many applications, they may not be suitable for handling delicate or irregularly shaped objects. The fixed jaw of the gripper may not provide enough flexibility to accommodate these types of objects.

How does a 4 bar linkage gripper compare to a suction gripper?

A 4 bar linkage gripper is typically more versatile than a suction gripper, as it can handle a wider range of objects and shapes. However, a suction gripper may be more effective for picking up smooth, flat objects. Additionally, a 4 bar linkage gripper may require more setup and maintenance compared to a suction gripper.

Can a 4 bar linkage gripper be used for both pick and place operations?

Yes, a 4 bar linkage gripper can be used for both pick and place operations. Its precise gripping ability allows it to accurately pick up objects and place them in a designated location. However, it may not be as efficient as other grippers designed specifically for pick or place operations.