Solve the 4 Doors to Hell Riddle

• Thread starter Numbnut247
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Riddle
In summary: He could just ignore the stones and go through a door at random. The question isn't, "How can he, in the fewest number of questions/with maximum certainty...?" So, he could ask stone 1, "What door do I need to go through to stay alive?" and go through door 1. And then he'd be fine, and the stones would be left with the mess.In summary, the person can ask indirect questions to the stones to find the correct door to safety. Some possible questions include: asking a stone about another stone's answer, asking a stone about its own truthfulness, or asking a stone for the correct door to exit. The person could also ignore the stones
Numbnut247
A person enters a room with 5 doors. One of the doors will lead him to safety and the other 4 will lead him to hell where he will die. In the middle of the room, there are 5 stones lined up in a single file, numbered 1 to 5. These stones will either lie or tell the truth, but the stones have to tell the truth if the stone before it lies and vice versa. For example, if stone 1 lies, stone 2 has to tell the truth. The person does not know anything else about the stones. Also, he cannot ask a direct question to find out if a stone is lying or not. For example, he cannot go up to stone 1 and ask if 1 + 1 is equal to 2. How does he lead himself to safety?

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of question can he ask, if not a direct one? You mean one to which he doesn't already know the answer? I've never heard of asking an indirect question.

Any type of question:

Ask stone 1: "is door #1 the door to safety?"
Ask stone 2: "Would stone #3 saw that door 1 goes to safety?"(if its answer matches #1, it's true"
ask stone 3 or 4(whichever is the truth): "what doorleads to safety?"

To solve this, just set up a grid with the numbers of the stones on one axis and the numbers of the doors on the other. Ask each stone if the door with the corresponding number will lead to safety and put a Y or N in the grid. The deviation from a strict YNYNYN pattern is the correct door, and it does not matter whether the stone in queation is a liar or is truthful.

Actually the answer is the person should ignore the stones and merely exit the room with the door he used to get to the room.

what if he was a demon from hell?

Numbnut247 said:
Actually the answer is the person should ignore the stones and merely exit the room with the door he used to get to the room.

That is the wrong answer. It isn't states in the question that he entered via a door. So as a result, that is the wrong answer.

Mattara said:
That is the wrong answer. It isn't states in the question that he entered via a door. So as a result, that is the wrong answer.

A person enters a room with 5 doors. One of the doors will lead him to safety and the other 4 will lead him to hell where he will die. In the middle of the room, there are 5 stones lined up in a single file, numbered 1 to 5. These stones will either lie or tell the truth, but the stones have to tell the truth if the stone before it lies and vice versa. For example, if stone 1 lies, stone 2 has to tell the truth. The person does not know anything else about the stones. Also, he cannot ask a direct question to find out if a stone is lying or not. For example, he cannot go up to stone 1 and ask if 1 + 1 is equal to 2. How does he lead himself to safety?

I wrote a person ENTERS a room, meaning that he used something that would cut through a wall to get into the room. If I'm not mistaken, that is what a door is. I did not say the person is in a room, or the person sees 5 doors. I specifically said that the person ENTERED. If he did not enter the room using a door, how could he have entered the room? It is called an indirect assumption.

Last edited:
A person is dropped into a room with 5 doors...

Ask stone number 1: "If, after asking you this question, I were to ask number 2 if door number 1 is the right door, what would he tell me?"

Assumably the stones know the system because they have to know whether they should lie or tell the truth. So the question should generate a "Yes." for every door that is not the right door, and a "No" for the door that is the right door, as there will be one lie told regardless of whether the patern is LTLTL or TLTLT. By going through asking this question for every stone he can find the right door.

Or he could just chill in the room, I mean, if he has a 4/5 chance of going to hell, then sitting in a room with 5 stones isn't such a bad fate.

~Lyuokdea

Ask stone 1: "would stone #2 give me the same answers as you?"

Depending on if it's yes or no, you ask the 4 other stones about 4 of the doors, and if they all end up meaning that the doors don't lead to safety, go out the remaining door

Ask Stone #1: If I asked stone #3 if it were a liar or a truth telling stone, what would it say?

If stone 1 answers "truth teller", then ask stone 1, 3, or 5 which door is the correct exit. If stone 1 answers "liar" then ask 2 or 4 which door is the correct exit.

Actually, in retrospect, that's a great question to ask in liar/truth teller problems-- "If I asked you later whether you were a liar, what would you say?" A liar, who, when asked, would REALLY reply "no" would *have* to lie about what he would say, thus telling you flat out that he would later say he was a liar! And conversely, a truth teller would tell you that he was a truth teller. Bam!

But back to the problem in question. I have to admit this is rather open-ended, making this riddle very easy. You don't need 5 stones at all, as evidenced in my particular solution. Actually, for that matter, it doesn't say how many questions should be asked, or even that questions SHOULD be asked. It just asks "How does he lead himself to safety?" Clearly, the way to lead himself to safety is to NOT walk through one of the wrong doors. Whether or not he actually walks through the CORRECT door isn't necessarily relevant to the problem, it's just implied. As is the whole "what question(s) should he ask?"

A better problem might be had by stipulating:
1) He can only ask each stone one question
2) Each question must be yes/no

It's still possible, but now you need all 5 stones for the sake of the rule mechanics (although you don't need all 5 questions), and you need 4/5 questions.

DaveE

davee123 said:
A better problem might be had by stipulating:
1) He can only ask each stone one question
2) Each question must be yes/no

It's still possible, but now you need all 5 stones for the sake of the rule mechanics (although you don't need all 5 questions), and you need 4/5 questions.

Actually, you'd only need 3 questions, not 5, and, as a consequence, only 3 stones. For example:
You ask the first rock, would the second rock answer yes if I asked whether one of the first two doors was the door out?

Since one of the first two rocks must be a liar (by the t/f alternation rule). I know that if the answer is no, then the door out is one of the last three, otherwise, it's one of the first two.

Clearly it's possible to proceed with a binary search from there.

NateTG said:
Actually, you'd only need 3 questions, not 5, and, as a consequence, only 3 stones. For example:
You ask the first rock, would the second rock answer yes if I asked whether one of the first two doors was the door out?

Since one of the first two rocks must be a liar (by the t/f alternation rule). I know that if the answer is no, then the door out is one of the last three, otherwise, it's one of the first two.

Clearly it's possible to proceed with a binary search from there.

Ahh, true! So we need what? Between 17-32 doors and 5 stones?

DaveE

davee123 said:
Ahh, true! So we need what? Between 17-32 doors and 5 stones?
Max 16 Doors w/ 5 stones

RandallB said:
Max 16 Doors w/ 5 stones

There are 5 yes or no answers - so 2^5=32 max doors. (You won't know which stones tell the truth or lie, but you don't care.)

If the stones are individually randomly truth tellers or liars, rather than the alternating pattern that is given in the original question, then you'd need an extra question.

RandallB said:
Max 16 Doors w/ 5 stones

I did an example with 18, and was able to draw a search tree that only took 5 questions-- hence I assume that 17-32 require 5 questions (makes sense since 2^5 = 32).

Maybe we can make the problem require 5 rocks if we stipulate:
1) Must distinguish by the end which rock is which
2) Rocks can only answer with red or blue, one is "true" one is "false", we don't know which is which initially
3) Can only ask each rock 1 question

Those stipulations seem to force you to use all 5 questions, or, at least I think they do.

DaveE

davee123 said:
I did an example with 18, and was able to draw a search tree that only took 5 questions-- hence I assume that 17-32 require 5 questions (makes sense since 2^5 = 32).

Maybe we can make the problem require 5 rocks if we stipulate:
1) Must distinguish by the end which rock is which
2) Rocks can only answer with red or blue, one is "true" one is "false", we don't know which is which initially
3) Can only ask each rock 1 question

Those stipulations seem to force you to use all 5 questions, or, at least I think they do.

To make (2) add an extra question you must require that we know whether red or blue means true. Otherwise you can use questions like 'if red means true and ... or if blue means true and.. ".

davee123 said:
5 questions would require 6 rocks.

RandallB said:
5 questions would require 6 rocks.

If you can ask each rock one question, and there are 5 rocks, how do you come up with anything other than 5 questions?

So he uses five doors to enter the room, meaning all five doors are used to get back out, which means he must have came from hell. Or does the door he came through have four doors behind it?

If I were faced with the question using my head to figure out how to stay out of hell, I would not be asking 5 rocks for help. Do you take me for some sort of idiot?

Maybe I should force the five stones to open each door so: worst-case scenario, four rocks go to hell.

I would definitely take the stones with me which ever door I opened. Five all-knowing rocks—the great advances in society from these rocks and I. We would be written of in the textbooks!

Last edited:
Mk said:
So he uses five doors to enter the room,
The OP didn’t say he entered though any door, just that he entered the room.
Assume he came though an opening (no door), guarded from his exiting till the opening is bricked up. The point is to solve the riddle.
NateTG said:
If you can ask each rock one question, and there are 5 rocks, how do you come up with anything other than 5 questions?
You cannot ask a question useful to picking a door without asking about the next rock that has yet to answer because you don’t know if it’s telling the truth or not.
Unless you have a question that would reveal which one's are true without losing the chance to gain info about the doors at the same time.

RandallB said:
You cannot ask a question useful to picking a door without asking about the next rock that has yet to answer because you don’t know if it’s telling the truth or not.
Unless you have a question that would reveal which one's are true without losing the chance to gain info about the doors at the same time.

If the rocks are alternating truth teller/liar, then you can, for example, simply ask:
Would the (previous/next) rock say that door a, b or c is the good exit?

(As in my post above.)
Since one of the two rocks is a liar, and other is a truth teller, the net result is a lie. You can't tell which of the two rocks was the liar, but you don't care.

NateTG said:
If the rocks are alternating truth teller/liar, then you can, for example, simply ask:

(As in my post above.)
Since one of the two rocks is a liar, and other is a truth teller, the net result is a lie. You can't tell which of the two rocks was the liar, but you don't care.
Excactly that's why you need a next (6th) rock. A previous rock that's already givin its one answer wouldn't apply.

NateTG said:

(As in my post above.)
Excactly that's why you need a next (6th) rock to get to five questions. A previous rock that's already givin its one answer wouldn't apply.

RandallB said:
Excactly that's why you need a next (6th) rock to get to five questions. A previous rock that's already givin its one answer wouldn't apply.

Why not? Simply adjust your last question to: "What would the previous rock have said if I had instead asked ..."

But regardless, according to the stipulations given to require 5 questions and 5 rocks, you still need to learn which rocks are truth tellers and which are liars. Plus, you don't even need to involve another rock in your final question:

Code:
1) Are you a truth telling rock? (if red, then red = yes,
if blue, then blue = yes)
2) If I asked you later whether you were a truth telling
rock, what would you say? (A lying rock would say "no",
a truth telling rock says yes)
3) Is the correct door one of A, B, C?
   Y => 4) Is the correct door one of A or B?
        Y => 5) Is the correct door A?
             Y => choose door A
            N => choose door B
        N => choose door C
   N => 4) Is the correct door D?
        Y => choose door D
        N => choose door E

Obviously adjust the Y/N according to the answer received in #2.

DaveE

Last edited:
Ok, let's try it this way:

There are 5 rocks, and we know they're alternating truth tellers and liars, and we can ask each rock one questio, and there are 32 doors:

Ask rock 1:
Would rock 2 tell me that the favorable exit is among doors 1 through 16?

Ask rock 2:
Would rock 3 tell me that the favorable exit is among doors 1 through 8 , or among doors 17 through 24?

Ask rock 3:
Would rock 4 tell me that the favorable exit is among doors 1 through 4, 9 through 12, 17 through 20, or 25 through 28?

Ask rock 4:
Would rock 5 tell me that the favorable exit is one of the doors in 1,2,5,6,9,10,13,14,17,18,21,22,25,26,29,30?

Ask rock 5:
If I had asked rock 4, "does the favorable exit have an even number" would rock7. 4 have said yes?

Start with 1.
If rock 1 answered yes add 16
If rock 2 answered yes add 8
If rock 3 answered yes add 4
If rock 4 answered yes add 2
If rock 5 answered yes add 1
The result is the number of the door that is the favorable exit.

davee123 said:
Why not? Simply adjust your last question to: "What would the previous rock have said if I had instead asked ..."

But regardless, according to the stipulations given to require 5 questions and 5 rocks, you still need to learn which rocks are truth tellers and which are liars. Plus, you don't even need to involve another rock in your final question:

Code:
1) Are you a truth telling rock? (if red, then red = yes,
if blue, then blue = yes)
2) If I asked you later whether you were a truth telling
rock, what would you say? (A lying rock would say "no",
a truth telling rock says yes)
3) Is the correct door one of A, B, C?
   Y => 4) Is the correct door one of A or B?
        Y => 5) Is the correct door A?
             Y => choose door A
            N => choose door B
        N => choose door C
   N => 4) Is the correct door D?
        Y => choose door D
        N => choose door E

Obviously adjust the Y/N according to the answer received in #2.

DaveE
Now you've used up two questions without getting any information about the doors. With only 3 questions remaining how are you going to decide between more than 16 doors?

NateTG said:
Ok, let's try it this way:
Ask rock 1: ... ... ...
...The result is the number of the door that is the favorable exit.
Rock 5's answer = I don't know if #4 would be T or F to a different question, I only know that I will give the alternate T / F based rock 4's being T / F with the answer already given. If you ask about the next rock that I know will alternate from me I would know.
As it is I cannot give a Y or N reply to this question. I shall remain blank but your question still counts.

RandallB said:
Now you've used up two questions without getting any information about the doors. With only 3 questions remaining how are you going to decide between more than 16 doors?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. In the above, I was not enacting the stipulation that there were more than 5 doors. It was an effort to change the problem as little as possible, while requiring a more singlular solution. One could either make the stipulations above, OR stipulate that there were instead 17-32 doors.

RandallB said:
Rock 5's answer = I don't know if #4 would be T or F to a different question, I only know that I will give the alternate T / F based rock 4's being T / F with the answer already given. If you ask about the next rock that I know will alternate from me I would know.
As it is I cannot give a Y or N reply to this question. I shall remain blank but your question still counts.

The rocks are all-knowing rocks. The only questions they can't answer would have to be paradoxical in nature. Hence, you can't ask things like "Will I find the right door?" because you could then proceed to prove the rock wrong. However, you could instantly invent some new language in your head, where "foo" meant 1 and "blip" meant 2, and ask the rock whether foo+foo=blip, and it would respond accordingly. What you could NOT do would be to ask if it was GOING to be true, since you could then change the values of foo and blip.

If you *really* want to get overly persnickity, you can restate the exact situation as a complete hypothetical to each rock every time within your question, and still get the correct answer.

DaveE

Here's my stab at it:

Q to Stone 1: Which door leads to heaven?
Q to Stone 2: Which door leads to heaven?
----
Now, at this point, I have established a 50/50 chance. Not bad.
So, my next step is to determine the sequencing(TFTFT or FTFTF)
----
Q to Stone 3: Which doors lead to Hell?
----

According to my tests on paper, here's what happens:
If the sequence is TFTFT, the STONE 3's answer will exclude one of the above previous stones numbers.
However, and this is interesting, if the hidden sequence is FTFTF, Stones 3's answer will include the same answer as the Stones 3 TFTFT answer!
-----
With that prize we now establish true sequencing through the next step:
Q to Stone 4: Which doors lead to Hell?
-----
If Stone 4's answer is different than Stone 3, the sequence is TFTFT.
If it is the same, it is FTFTF
----
At this point we do not even need Stone 5. Sequencing determines which of Stone's 1 and 2 answer is correct!

---- Why this works:
First, we force a 1/5 potential into a 1/2 potential(Through the Q's to Stones 1 and 2)

Second, we force Stone 3 to answer in exactly the same way regardless of its T/F status. This works because we switch the question from being "Which door leads to heaven to Which doors lead to Hell, KNOWING that the answer is dependent on Stone 2. This causes Stone's 3 answer to be the same, regardless of TFTFT or FTFTF.

Third, we force sequencing identity by asking the same question to Stone 4 as was asked of Stone 3.
Because of the "forced" inter-relationship of the previous stones, a same answer results in FTFTF and a different being TFTFT.
If Stone 4's answer is different than Stone 3, the door to heaven is given by Stone 1.
If Stone 4's answer is the same as Stone 3, the door to heaven is given by Stone 2.

Stone 5 is not needed.

Last edited:
pallidin said:
Q to Stone 3: Which doors lead to Hell?

Ha! That's a good one! You only need one question!

If you ask stone #1 to name each of the doors that lead to hell:

1) If it's a truth telling door, it'll tell you FOUR doors, and the one that's missing will be the one to pick.
2) If it's a lying door, it'll tell you only ONE door, because otherwise it would be telling the TRUTH about SOME of the doors. And so the one to pick is the one that it names.

Nice!

DaveE

whats the answer?? its been half a month..tell us the answer a;lready!

juelz said:
whats the answer?? its been half a month..tell us the answer a;lready!

He posted his answer quite early on, actually (like two hours after the initial post)-- it was kinda silly:

Numbnut247 said:

Note, he DID ask it on April Fools day!

DaveE

This riddle is simply easy. Just ask "What would stone #2 say if I asked him to name one door that was false?" Theory: Since it's a t/f pattern, if 1 was true then 2 was false. 2 would actually say the correct one since 2 is lying. If 1 was false and 2 was true, 2 would name a false door but since 1 lies then 1 will say the correct door. Either way, LET'S PARTY IS HEAVEN!

<h2>What is the "4 Doors to Hell Riddle"?</h2><p>The "4 Doors to Hell Riddle" is a popular logic puzzle that involves four doors, each leading to a different level of hell. The goal is to determine which door leads to the least painful level of hell.</p><h2>How do you solve the "4 Doors to Hell Riddle"?</h2><p>To solve the riddle, you must use logic and deductive reasoning to eliminate possibilities and determine the correct door. This can be done by carefully analyzing the clues provided in the riddle and using process of elimination.</p><h2>What are the clues in the "4 Doors to Hell Riddle"?</h2><p>The clues in the riddle include the descriptions of the four levels of hell, the statements made by the inhabitants of each level, and the rules for choosing the correct door.</p><h2>Can the "4 Doors to Hell Riddle" have multiple solutions?</h2><p>No, the riddle is designed to have only one correct solution. If you are able to find multiple solutions, it is likely that you have missed a key clue or made a mistake in your reasoning.</p><h2>Why is the "4 Doors to Hell Riddle" considered a difficult puzzle?</h2><p>The riddle requires critical thinking and the ability to think outside the box. It also involves complex logic and the ability to analyze and interpret clues. Many people find it challenging because it requires a combination of different skills and approaches to solve.</p>

What is the "4 Doors to Hell Riddle"?

The "4 Doors to Hell Riddle" is a popular logic puzzle that involves four doors, each leading to a different level of hell. The goal is to determine which door leads to the least painful level of hell.

How do you solve the "4 Doors to Hell Riddle"?

To solve the riddle, you must use logic and deductive reasoning to eliminate possibilities and determine the correct door. This can be done by carefully analyzing the clues provided in the riddle and using process of elimination.

What are the clues in the "4 Doors to Hell Riddle"?

The clues in the riddle include the descriptions of the four levels of hell, the statements made by the inhabitants of each level, and the rules for choosing the correct door.

Can the "4 Doors to Hell Riddle" have multiple solutions?

No, the riddle is designed to have only one correct solution. If you are able to find multiple solutions, it is likely that you have missed a key clue or made a mistake in your reasoning.

Why is the "4 Doors to Hell Riddle" considered a difficult puzzle?

The riddle requires critical thinking and the ability to think outside the box. It also involves complex logic and the ability to analyze and interpret clues. Many people find it challenging because it requires a combination of different skills and approaches to solve.