How do you solve a system of equations with 4 variables and 4 equations?

• Thread starter noowutah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, to solve this system of equations, you need to know the marginal probabilities for x1, x2, y1, y2, and the joint probabilities p_ij.
noowutah
How do you solve the system of equations

[tex]e^{x_{1}+y_{1}}+e^{x_{1}+y_{2}}=a_{1}[/tex]
[tex]e^{x_{2}+y_{1}}+e^{x_{2}+y_{2}}=a_{2}[/tex]
[tex]e^{x_{1}+y_{1}}+e^{x_{2}+y_{1}}=b_{1}[/tex]
[tex]e^{x_{1}+y_{2}}+e^{x_{2}+y_{2}}=b_{2}[/tex]

x1, x2, y1, y2 are the variables for which I want to solve the equations, a1, a2, b1, b2 are known.

Context: I need to solve this in order to get the unknown maximum entropy joint probabilities

[tex]p_{ij}=e^{-1-x_{i}-y_{j}}[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{for the known marginal probabilities (}a_{i}\mbox{ and }b_{j}\mbox{).}[/tex]

i know there is way to do this in information theory, but I need to solve it algebraically.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't need a numeric solution or an approximation. I want to solve the equation for x1, x2, y1, y2, if possible. If not, I'll have to live with it.

There's a problem here. First subsitute [itex] u_1 = e^{x1} [/itex] [itex] v_1 = e^{y1} [/itex] etc.

Than the four equations become:

[tex] u_1 v_1 + u_1 v_2 = a_1 [/tex]
[tex] u_2 v_1 + u_2 v_2 = a_2 [/tex]
[tex] u_1 v_1 + u_2 v_1 = b_1 [/tex]
[tex] u_1 v_2 + u_2 v_2 = b_2 [/tex]

No if you add the first two you get:

[tex] u_1 v_1 + u_1 v_2 + u_2 v_1 + u_2 v_2 = a_1 + a_2 [/tex]

and if you add the last two you get

[tex] u_1 v_1 + u_1 v_2 + u_2 v_1 + u_2 v_2 = b_1 + b_2 [/tex]

These can't both be true unless [itex] a_1 + a_2 = b_1 + b_2 [/itex]

And if that is the case, you have only 3 equations left for 4 unknowns, so there won't be an unique solution.

Thank you! Quick reply here: yes, a1+a2=b1+b2 because they are marginal probabilities and sum to 1. Also,

[tex]u_{1}v_{1}+u_{1}v_{2}+u_{2}v_{1}+u_{2}v_{2}=1[/tex]

because these are the joint probabilities. Sorry! I should have mentioned that. I will be back in half an hour to report if this gives me enough information to solve the system.

If you write the equations as:

[tex] u_1 (v_1 + v_2) = a_1 [/tex]
[tex] v_1 (u_1 + u_2) = b_1 [/tex]
[tex] (v_1 + v_2)(u_1 + u_2) = 1 [/tex]

it's easy to see if [itex] (u_1,u_2,v_1,v_2) [/itex] is a solution, so is [itex] (c u_1, c u_2, \frac {v_1}{c}, \frac {v_2}{c} ) [/itex]

to get a solution you can set u1 + u2 = 1 so v1

this gets you

[tex] u_1 = c a_1 [/tex]
[tex] u_2 = c a_2 [/tex]
[tex] v_1 = \frac {b_1}{c} [/tex]
[tex] v_2 = \frac {b_2}{c} [/tex]

as the complete solution.

Likes 1 person
Got it. Thank you, willem2. There was information hiding here that I didn't take into account (basically, that it is sufficient to know p_ij for i=1,...,m-1 and j=1,...,n-1 in order to know the m x n dimensional joint probability matrix). Be that as it may, problem solved!

1. What do the 4 equations and 4 variables represent?

The 4 equations and 4 variables represent a system of equations, where each equation contains 4 variables. This means that there are 4 unknowns in the system that can be solved for using algebraic methods.

2. How do you solve a system of 4 equations with 4 variables?

To solve a system of 4 equations with 4 variables, you can use substitution, elimination, or matrix methods. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate variables and solve for the remaining ones.

3. Can a system of 4 equations with 4 variables have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of 4 equations with 4 variables can have more than one solution. This means that there are multiple sets of values for the variables that satisfy all 4 equations simultaneously.

4. What is the significance of a system of 4 equations with 4 variables in scientific research?

A system of 4 equations with 4 variables can be used to model complex systems in scientific research. It allows scientists to study the relationships between multiple variables and make predictions based on the equations.

5. Are there any real-life applications of a system of 4 equations with 4 variables?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of a system of 4 equations with 4 variables. For example, it can be used in economics to model supply and demand, in engineering to design circuits, and in physics to analyze forces and motion.