Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4 flips of a fair coin

1. Feb 6, 2008 #1
    Given 4 flips of a fair coin, what is the probability of {H,H,H,H}?

I thought since flips of a fair coin are independent, then P(H&H&H&H) = P(H)P(H)P(H)P(H) = 1/(2^4) = 1/16. Am I close?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since these are 4 independent trials, yes.

You can verify this & similar problems by figuring out how many ways 4 coins can "land."
  4. Feb 6, 2008 #3
    thanks; you're right. I used the tree-notation and got N(ways HHHH)/N(all ways) = 1/16. Thanks again. I'm not entirely sure why that works.

Is it possible to compute the probability that one pattern comes before the other one? Like THHH will happen before HHHH?
  5. Feb 6, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Each of the 16 possible total outcomes (HHHH through TTTT) is equally possible, so there is no way to predict which will occur before another.

- Warren
  6. Feb 6, 2008 #5
    Thanks. I should have known that.
  7. Feb 7, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember to distinguish the probability that "THHH" comes before "HHHH" in a series of discrete tuples of four flips from the probability that the subsequence "THHH" comes before "HHHH" in a continuous series of individual flips.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?