Solving 4-Momenta Problem for Toy Theory: A + A -> B + B

• Thread starter kudoushinichi88
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a scattering reaction A + A -> B + B in the Toy Theory, and the goal is to show that (p_4-p_2)^2-m_C^2c^2=p_4^2+p_2^2-2p_4\cdot p_2 = -\vec{\textbf{p}}^2(1-\cos\theta) in the CM frame. The initial attempt was to use p_4^2+p_2^2=2m^2c^2 but a factor of 2 was missing in p2(1-cosθ). It was suggested to use p_2 p_4 = \frac{E_2 E_
kudoushinichi88

Homework Statement

For a scattering problem A + A - > B + B in the Toy Theory,

Need to show

[tex](p_4-p_2)^2-m_C^2c^2=p_4^2+p_2^2-2p_4\cdot p_2 = -\vec{\textbf{p}}^2(1-\cos\theta)[/tex]

Homework Equations

this is assuming [itex]m_A=m_B=m[/itex] and [itex]m_C=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]p_4^2+p_2^2=2m^2c^2[/tex]

but I'm not sure how to do

[tex]p_4\cdot p_2[/tex]

do i work with

[tex]\sqrt{\left( \frac{E_4^2}{c^2} - \vec{\textbf{p}}_4^2 \right) \left( \frac{E_2^2}{c^2} - \vec{\textbf{p}}_2^2 \right)}[/tex]

?

Physics news on Phys.org
please mention what is mc.Also the expression so far is correct only in CM frame.also it seems that a factor of 2 is missing in p2(1-cosθ).

It's been awhile since I have done this problem! Have you tried,

$$
p_2 p_4 = \frac{E_2 E_4}{c^2} - \vec{p_2} \cdot \vec{p_4}
$$

Last edited:
Terribly sorry, I should've made my question clearer. All of the [itex]p[/itex]s in my post refers 4-momenta while [itex]\vec{\textbf{p}}[/itex] refers to 3 momenta.

I'm working in the CM frame.

In this scattering reaction the subscripts refers to the particle in the reaction as follows: 1 + 2 -> 3 + 4

@andrien, you are right, I missed the factor 2. [itex]m_c[/itex] is mass of the mediating particle in the lowest order Feynman diagram of this particular scattering reaction. In this problem, I guess it could just be ignored.

@Shinobii, does your [itex]\vec{p_2}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{p_4}[/itex] denote 3-momenta or 4-momenta? Both particles 2 and 4 are not massless...

kudoushinichi88 said:
but I'm not sure how to do

[tex]p_4\cdot p_2[/tex]
well, they are both 4-vectors in minkowski spacetime. So how would you normally take the inner product? (Maybe think of a general 4-vector first, then apply it to the specific vectors you have here)

1. What is a 4-momenta problem?

A 4-momenta problem is a mathematical calculation used in particle physics to determine the energy and momentum of particles before and after a collision. It takes into account the mass, velocity, and direction of the particles involved.

2. Why is it important to solve 4-momenta problems?

Solving 4-momenta problems allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of particles during collisions. This is crucial in studying the fundamental laws of physics and can also have practical applications in fields such as medical imaging and nuclear energy.

3. What is a toy theory?

A toy theory is a simplified model used by scientists to study complex systems. In the context of particle physics, it allows for easier calculations and can provide valuable insights into the behavior of particles without the need for complex equations.

4. What does A + A -> B + B mean in the context of this problem?

In this problem, A and B represent different particles. The equation A + A -> B + B means that two particles of type A are colliding and producing two particles of type B as a result.

5. How do scientists solve 4-momenta problems for toy theories?

Scientists use mathematical equations and principles, such as conservation of energy and momentum, to solve 4-momenta problems for toy theories. They may also use computer simulations and experimental data to validate their calculations.