1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4-momenta problem

1. Apr 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a scattering problem A + A - > B + B in the Toy Theory,

Need to show

[tex](p_4-p_2)^2-m_C^2c^2=p_4^2+p_2^2-2p_4\cdot p_2 = -\vec{\textbf{p}}^2(1-\cos\theta)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

this is assuming [itex]m_A=m_B=m[/itex] and [itex]m_C=0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]p_4^2+p_2^2=2m^2c^2[/tex]

but i'm not sure how to do

[tex]p_4\cdot p_2[/tex]

do i work with

[tex]\sqrt{\left( \frac{E_4^2}{c^2} - \vec{\textbf{p}}_4^2 \right) \left( \frac{E_2^2}{c^2} - \vec{\textbf{p}}_2^2 \right)}[/tex]

?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2013 #2
    please mention what is mc.Also the expression so far is correct only in CM frame.also it seems that a factor of 2 is missing in p2(1-cosθ).

4. Apr 6, 2013 #3
    It's been awhile since I have done this problem! Have you tried,

$$
    p_2 p_4 = \frac{E_2 E_4}{c^2} - \vec{p_2} \cdot \vec{p_4}
    $$

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  5. Apr 6, 2013 #4
    Terribly sorry, I should've made my question clearer. All of the [itex]p[/itex]s in my post refers 4-momenta while [itex]\vec{\textbf{p}}[/itex] refers to 3 momenta.

I'm working in the CM frame.

In this scattering reaction the subscripts refers to the particle in the reaction as follows: 1 + 2 -> 3 + 4

@andrien, you are right, I missed the factor 2. [itex]m_c[/itex] is mass of the mediating particle in the lowest order Feynman diagram of this particular scattering reaction. In this problem, I guess it could just be ignored.

@Shinobii, does your [itex]\vec{p_2}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{p_4}[/itex] denote 3-momenta or 4-momenta? Both particles 2 and 4 are not massless...

6. Apr 6, 2013 #5

BruceW

Homework Helper

well, they are both 4-vectors in minkowski spacetime. So how would you normally take the inner product? (Maybe think of a general 4-vector first, then apply it to the specific vectors you have here)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted