Exploring 4-Momenta: Understanding the Difference in Photon-Electron Collisions

• B
  • Thread starter AishaGirl
  • Start date
In summary, there are two different conventions for writing the four-momentum of a particle, either in units of energy or units of momentum. However, the particle physics community typically uses units where c=1, making the two conventions interchangeable. It is important to be consistent with whichever convention is chosen within a calculation. Additionally, for the photon, which has no mass, the energy is equal to the momentum multiplied by the speed of light, following the chosen convention.
AishaGirl
The 4-momenta before a photon collides with a stationary election [itex]P_m=(mc^2,0,0,0)[/itex] or is it [itex]P_m=(mc,0,0,0)[/itex]

Which is the difference between the two?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The four momentum is usually written in units of momentum, so (mc,0,0,0). However, it is even more common to use units where c=1, so that energy momentum and mass are all the same unit.

AishaGirl said:
Which is the difference between the two?
Units of energy versus units of momentum. I was trained in experimental particle physics, so I prefer units of energy ##(E, p_x c, p_y c, p_z c)## but I recognize that others prefer units of momentum ##(E/c, p_x, p_y, p_z)##. Whichever units you prefer, be consistent within a calculation!

Likes SiennaTheGr8, AishaGirl and vanhees71
jtbell said:
I was trained in experimental particle physics, so I prefer units of energy
Interesting, does the particle physics community still call it the four momentum if they commonly use energy units?

Dale said:
Interesting, does the particle physics community still call it the four momentum if they commonly use energy units?
We do not differentiate between the two since we use units where c=1.

Likes Dale and PeroK
When I was a grad student it was general practice to talk of momentum in units of MeV and GeV.

But we nevertheless called it (3-)momentum or 4-momentum as appropriate.

Likes Dale
Thanks for the replies. So using (mc,0,0,0) is just as valid as using (mc^2,0,0,0) ?

Sure, you only must be consistent with your convention or, most elegantly, set ##c=1##, as the particle physicists do (see the postings above). If I keep ##c \neq 1##, then I usually prefer to use the convention that the four-vector quantities have the dimension of the spatial parts, i.e., for momentum
$$(p^{\mu})=\begin{pmatrix} E/c \\ \vec{p} \end{pmatrix},$$
where ##E=c \sqrt{m^2 c^2+\vec{p}^2}## is the relativistic energy (i.e., kinetic + rest energy) of the particle. Then the energy-momentum relation (often called "on-shell condition") can be written in manifestly covariant form as
$$p_{\mu} p^{\mu}=m^2 c^2.$$

For the photon of momentum ##\vec{k}##, following thie convention you have
$$(k^{\mu}) = \begin{pmatrix} |\vec{k}|,\vec{k} \end{pmatrix}.$$
Because it's massless the energy of the photon is ##E_{\gamma}(\vec{k})=c |\vec{k}|##.

Likes Dale and AishaGirl

1. What is a 4-momentum?

A 4-momentum is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the energy and momentum of a particle. It consists of four components: energy, momentum in the x, y, and z directions.

2. How is photon-electron collision different from other types of collisions?

In photon-electron collisions, a high-energy photon collides with an electron, resulting in the creation of a new particle. This differs from other types of collisions where two particles collide and interact with each other.

3. What is the significance of understanding 4-momenta in photon-electron collisions?

Understanding 4-momenta in photon-electron collisions allows scientists to accurately describe and predict the outcome of these collisions. It also provides insight into the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions.

4. How is 4-momentum conservation applied in photon-electron collisions?

4-momentum conservation states that the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. In photon-electron collisions, this principle is applied to determine the energy and momentum of the resulting particles.

5. What are some applications of studying photon-electron collisions?

Studying photon-electron collisions has many practical applications, including in medical imaging technology, particle accelerators, and understanding the properties of matter. It also helps in the development of new technologies and theories in physics.