How can I calculate the speed of the kaon using four-momentum conservation?

In summary, we have a kaon decaying into a pion and an anti-pion with specific velocities and masses. By using energy-momentum conservation and the on-shell conditions, we can calculate the momentum and speed of the kaon before it decays.
Shiz

Homework Statement

So a kaon moving at some speed in the +x direction spontaneously decays into one pion and one anti-pion. The anti-pion moves away with velocity of 0.8c, and the pion moves away with velocity of 0.9c.

Mass of kaon = 498 MeV/c^2
Mass of pion/anti-pion = 140 MeV/c^2

Homework Equations

I understand that momentum of the kaon qualms the momentums of the two pions. p(kaon) = p(pion) + p(anti-pion). I can then square both sides and use the principle of invariance.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm having issues with is how to calculate the term of +2 p(pion)•p(anti-pion).

I don't understand how to multiply the vector parts. p(pion) = ( E(pion)/c , vector p(pion) )
p(anti-pion) = ( E(anti-pion)/c , vector p(anti-pion) )

I'll get a cos(theta) term out of this dot product on the vector side but how do I use the velocities I have to get a dot product of those two momentum vectors? They're both moving so I am guessing I have to substitute in (gamma)(mass of the particle)(velocity vector) but I just don't understand how to do the math after that.

Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the question? I guess you should get the original speed of the kaon. Let's also set [itex]c=1[/itex], which makes everything a lot easier. Now we measure masses, energies, and momenta in the same unit, MeV.

You have energy-momentum conservation
[tex]p=p_1'+p_2',[/tex]
where [itex]p[/itex] is the four-momentum of the kaon in the initial state, and [itex]p_1'[/itex], [itex]p_2'[/itex] are the four momenta of the pions in the final state.

Further you have the on-shell conditions
[tex]p^2=m_{\text{K}}^2, \quad p_1'^2=p_2'^2=m_{\pi}^2.[/tex]
The relation between three-velocity and energy and momentum is
[tex]\vec{v}=\frac{\vec{p}}{E},[/tex]
for all the particles.

Now you can calculate the momenta of the pions and then use the above properties of the four-vectors. From this you should be able to get the three-momentum of the kaon and then its speed.

What is 4-momentum dot product?

The 4-momentum dot product is a mathematical operation that combines two 4-vectors (four-dimensional vectors) in special relativity. It is used to calculate the energy and momentum of a particle in a given reference frame.

How is 4-momentum dot product calculated?

The 4-momentum dot product is calculated by taking the product of the time component of one 4-vector with the time component of the other 4-vector, and adding it to the product of the spatial components of both 4-vectors. This can be written as:
p1·p2 = E1E2 - p1xp2 - p1yp2 - p1zp2, where p represents momentum and E represents energy.

What are the units of 4-momentum dot product?

The units of 4-momentum dot product are energy multiplied by momentum, which can be written as (kg*m/s)^2 or Joules*seconds.

Why is 4-momentum dot product important?

4-momentum dot product is important because it is a conserved quantity in special relativity. This means that in any reference frame, the 4-momentum dot product of a system of particles will remain the same, even if the individual momenta and energies change. It is also used to calculate important physical quantities such as mass and velocity.

How is 4-momentum dot product used in particle physics?

In particle physics, 4-momentum dot product is used to analyze the interactions and decays of particles. By calculating the 4-momentum dot product before and after an interaction, physicists can determine the energy and momentum of the particles involved, and use this information to study the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions.