1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4 point probe measurement help

1. Jun 26, 2003 #1
    4 point probe measurement help!!

I will really appreciate if somebody can help me:

I was trying to measure the electrical conductivity of some conductive polymer films using the 4 point probe technique. Altough is widely described and seems easy to arrange, I have been unable to measure my samples due to the following problems:

1.- As soon as I turn on the power source the films burns out (like a fuse)due to the joule effect, I guess, even when I set the power source in the "constant current" mode, fixed to the minimum.
    2.- When I tried to measure the electrical conductivity of the semiconducting samples, (or at least I thought so...), no voltage drop is detected between the inner probes, and no current flows at all. It seems to be "too insulating" to close the circuit
    3.- The digital multimetter is always changing the voltage drop measurement, whether the current source is on or off. Could it be due to the connections?... some bi-metalic joint effect?

I hope some of you have done this kind of measurements before, I really need to know the conductivity of my samples. If you need further information feel free to contact me...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2003 #2
    For the first problem you could put a shunt resistor in the cicuit to limit the current through the sample.

If the sample is insulating then you wont read a votlage across the inner leads.

A perferred method is to use a lockin-amp and measure the AC-resistance. It will give you a better S/N ratio. Otherwise you might need a nanovolt meter you get decent results.

How are you attaching your leads to the sample? This was a major problem that I ran into while making these type measurements.

JMD

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?