1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4-vector norm names

1. Nov 22, 2004 #1
    Are there names for the Lorentz invariant norm of the four-potential and four-current? I assume that they are invariant under the transformations. Also, is it true that any physical quantities which form a four-vector have an invariant quantity associated with them (i.e. the norm of the corresponding four-vector)? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2004 #2
    Vectors are invariant under changes of the coordinate system (what you probably mean by tranformation). Only their representation as a linear combination of the base vectors changes (as an inverse to the changes of the base => contravariant vectors). As the vectors (do not confuse a vector with it´s representation (t,x,y,z)) remain unchanged so is their norm - unless you switch to another norm/metric for some reason.
    Or in short: Yes, the norm of every vector is an invariant.

About the name: I´m not sure if there´s a special name for it but if you talk about "Lorentz metric" (note that the norm derives from the metric) I think people will know what you talk about - but beware that the sign-convention for this metric might vary.

4. Nov 22, 2004 #3
    No. There are no names for them. The main reason being is that their physical meaning will depend on the particular distributions of charges/currents. I.e. if there exists a frame in which there are no charges present but there is a non-zero current density then the norm is proportional to that current density. If, on the otherhand, there is a frame in which there is no current density but there is a charge density then the norm is proportional that charge density.

Pete

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?