What are the Lorentz transformation tensors used for?

In summary: Otherwise, you could try defining all the symbols you use. That would help someone like me at least understand the question. In summary, the conversation discusses a three-part question involving the Lorentz transformation tensor and the transformation of 4-vectors between frames S and \overline{S}. The first part involves finding the transformation of the L matrix using a tensor equation. The second part involves determining the components of \overline{A} in frame \overline{S}. The third part involves finding the components of the electric field in the \overline{S} frame using the A dashed equation from part B. The conversation ends with the author seeking clarification on their questions and asking for feedback on their writing.
physicsforumsfan
Hi all,

I got a 3 part Qs: γ=1/√1-v^2-c^2

Part A

Homework Statement

Consider the Lorentz transformation tensor

Matrix
Row 1: [ γ 0 0 -vγ/c]
Row 2: [ 0 1 0 0 ]
Row 3: [ 0 0 1 0 ]
Row 4:-[vγ/c 0 0 γ ]

for transforming 4-vectors from frame S to [itex]\overline{S}[/itex] according to[itex]\overline{A}[/itex][itex]^{\mu}[/itex] = L[itex]^{\mu}[/itex] [itex]_{v}[/itex] A[itex]^{v}[/itex] . The coordinate system is x[itex]^{0}[/itex] =ct, x[itex]^{1}[/itex] = x, x[itex]^{2}[/itex] = y, x[itex]^{3}[/itex] = z .

The Attempt at a Solution

Doing the transformation and then solving for it gives the answer:

d/d[itex]\overline{t}[/itex]=γ(d/dt-vd/dx), d/d[itex]\overline{x}[/itex]=γ(v/c^2 d/dt - d/dx), d/d[itex]\overline{y}[/itex] = d/dy, d/d[itex]\overline{z}[/itex]=d/dz

That's the answer I get but I am not sure about if I have the addition and substraction signs correct.

Part B

Homework Statement

In above question, if the 4-vector potential is given by [itex]\underline{A}[/itex]=([itex]\phi[/itex]/c, Ax, Ay, Az) in frame S what are its components in frame [itex]\overline{S}[/itex]?

Again solving for and getting the answer, I am confused on the addition and subtraction signs:

[itex]\overline{A}[/itex]=(γ[itex]\varphi[/itex]/c + γv/c Ax, γAx+ γv[itex]\varphi[/itex]/c^2, Ay, Az)

Part C

Homework Statement

In Part B, the electric and magnetic fields are defined in frames S and [itex]\overline{S}[/itex] by

E[itex]^{(3)}[/itex]=-∇[itex]\varphi[/itex]-dA[itex]^{(3)}[/itex]/dt, [itex]\overline{E}[/itex][itex]^{(3)}[/itex]=-∇[itex]\overline{\varphi}[/itex]-d[itex]\overline{A}^{(3)}[/itex]/d[itex]\overline{t}[/itex], B[itex]^{(3)}[/itex]=∇xA[itex]^{3}[/itex], [itex]\overline{B}[/itex][itex]^{(3)}[/itex]=[itex]\overline{∇}[/itex]x[itex]\overline{A}^{(3)}[/itex],
[itex]\overline{A}[/itex]=([itex]\overline{\varphi}[/itex]/c, [itex]\overline{A}[/itex]x,

If

[itex]\overline{A}[/itex]y, [itex]\overline{A}[/itex]z)=([itex]\overline{\varphi}[/itex]/c, [itex]\overline{A}^{(3)}[/itex])

what is value of [itex]\overline{E}[/itex]x?

Again solving for it I get my answer in which I am unsure of the addition and subtraction signs.

[itex]\overline{E}[/itex]x=Ex, [itex]\overline{E}[/itex]y=γ(Ey+vBz), [itex]\overline{E}[/itex]z=γ(Ez-vBy)

I am also not sure if the have the vector components assigned to the correct axis.

Help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

no reply?

Help?

From the PF rules - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380:
Do not "bump" one of your threads to the top of a forum's thread list by posting a basically empty message to it, until at least 24 hours have passed since the latest post in the thread; and then do it only once per thread.

Right Mark, thanks for telling me.

Just to clarify my questions, here is what I am trying to ask.

In Part A - I am supposed to find the transformation of the L matrix using that tensor equation. Is my transformation correct? It was my attempt at the question.

In Part B - Again, are the components of [itex]\overline{S}[/itex] correct (ie. is [itex]\overline{A}[/itex] correct)? It was my attempt at the question.

In Part C - It is a bit crowded (the formulae) but essentially they are the electric and magnetic field equations E, E (dashed), B and B (dashed) of the S and S (dashed) frames.

A (dashed, the 'if' was supposed to start before the A dashed equation and not in the middle)

I am supposed to find the E (dashed, the 'x' is a typo, sorry) components of this system (from the A dashed equation of part B). If the above is wrong then so is my following working. Are the + and - signs in the answer? It was my attempt.

Thanks

Last edited:
No Help?

Hey everyone,

Seems like another thread with no actual replies.

Just so I know, were the questions too hard or were they difficult to understand because of how I wrote them? I would like your honest opinion.

Thank you

physforums said:
Hi all,

I got a 3 part Qs: γ=1/√1-v^2-c^2

Part A

Homework Statement

Consider the Lorentz transformation tensor

Matrix
Row 1: [ γ 0 0 -vγ/c]
Row 2: [ 0 1 0 0 ]
Row 3: [ 0 0 1 0 ]
Row 4:-[vγ/c 0 0 γ ]

for transforming 4-vectors from frame S to [itex]\overline{S}[/itex] according to[itex]\overline{A}[/itex][itex]^{\mu}[/itex] = L[itex]^{\mu}[/itex] [itex]_{v}[/itex] A[itex]^{v}[/itex] . The coordinate system is x[itex]^{0}[/itex] =ct, x[itex]^{1}[/itex] = x, x[itex]^{2}[/itex] = y, x[itex]^{3}[/itex] = z .

physforums said:
Hey everyone,

Seems like another thread with no actual replies.

Just so I know, were the questions too hard or were they difficult to understand because of how I wrote them? I would like your honest opinion.

Thank you

Speaking for myself, I stopped reading about where I truncated your post. I'm not familiar with the subject and there are undefined symbols in the last line I left in. Perhaps if you posted this in a forum populated by more physics or EE types, you might find helpers who are familiar with the subject and notation.

1. What is a 4-vector?

A 4-vector is a mathematical object used in the study of relativity and spacetime. It contains four components, typically denoted as (ct, x, y, z), where c is the speed of light and t, x, y, and z represent time and space coordinates.

2. What is a 4-vector transformation?

A 4-vector transformation is a mathematical operation that allows us to change the coordinates of a 4-vector from one reference frame to another. This is necessary in the study of relativity, where different observers may have different perspectives on the same event.

3. How does the Lorentz transformation relate to 4-vector transformation?

The Lorentz transformation is a specific type of 4-vector transformation that is used in special relativity. It describes how the coordinates of a 4-vector change when moving from one inertial reference frame to another.

4. What is the significance of 4-vector transformation in physics?

4-vector transformation is crucial in understanding the principles of relativity and the relationship between space and time. It allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, which is essential in fields such as particle physics and cosmology.

5. How is 4-vector transformation applied in practical situations?

4-vector transformation is applied in various scientific fields, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. It is used to calculate the effects of relativistic motion on objects, such as time dilation and length contraction. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as GPS systems and particle accelerators.