1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4 vectors

1. May 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am aving a bit of trouble understanding how to show something is a 4 vector. For example K = (v/c, 1/lamdba, 0, 0 ) Show it is a 4-vector. I am not quite sure how to start this.
    Similarly I have the amplitude of a wave in frame S described as A=cos[2PI(vt-x/lambda)] and need to show that the amplitude of te wave in S' can be written as cos[2PI(v't'-x'/lambda')

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure how to do the first part

My attempt at the second part
    vt-x/lambda
    = vct/c - x/lambda
    =v/c(gamma(ct'+beta x')) -1/lambda *gamma(x'+beta ct')
    =ct' gamma(v/c-beta/lambda)-x'gamma (1/lambda-beta v/c)
    using a similar question in my notes but I don't think this is right and I don't know how it helps???

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2009 #2
    I think we do this question by showing that K transforms by a Lorentz transformation (since the definition of a 4 vector is a 4 component vector that transforms under Lorentz transformations).

When you do this, you'll see K'=(v'/c, 1/lambda',0,0), once you substitute in what you got for v' and 1/lambda' in the previous part. You got the same values for these as I did, by the way so I think they are correct. I'm pretty sure this is all you have to do to show it transforms by LT. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook