1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4-volume is a rank (0,0) tensor?

1. Feb 2, 2004 #1

turin

Homework Helper

How can I prove whether or not d4x is a 0th rank tensor? It seems strange that I should be so when it is the product of a 0th, 1st, 2nd and 3rd component, dx0dx1dx2dx3. I heard that the proof involves the Jacobian. I don't get it.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm notm sure my interpretation is correct, but in differential forms, d^2 is identically zero. so d^4(x) is zero.

4. Feb 3, 2004 #3
    d^4x is shorthand for the invariant measure in Minkowski 4 space. it is the volume 4 form, not the exterior derivative applied 4 times.

you can explicitly show that it is invariant, just by applying the change of variables formula (involving a Jacobian, as turin correctly suggests).

5. Feb 3, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

thank you

6. Feb 3, 2004 #5
    in fact, a better notation for the measure would probably be dx^4. but we are stuck with this notation.

7. Feb 4, 2004 #6

turin

Homework Helper

You don't think that would be confused with the 4th component of a tensor (superscript instead of exponent)? I think the notation itself is confusing (the one physicists use). That's why I'm trying to make the transition to using the mathematician's notation, and then instigate a revolution to make all physicists use it under penalty of death by strenuous physical activity.

OK, so d4x' = |∂(xμ')/∂(xν)|d4x
    ?

I'm understanding
    |∂(xμ')/∂(xν)|
    to be the Jacobian.
    Is this the determinant of the transformation matrix? I took multivariable calculus years ago, and I don't remember this stuff.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2004
  8. Feb 4, 2004 #7

in this case, i actually prefer the physicists notation. i agree with you that dx^4 might be misinterpreted as integration with respect to x^4. perhaps (dx)^4 would be best. anyway, to make a fair comparison, i will tell you the mathematicians notation for the volume form:

vol or else Vol.

so this notation is pretty bad, i think.

Edit: whoops. corrected LaTeX error

Last edited: Feb 4, 2004
  9. Feb 4, 2004 #8

turin

Homework Helper

It says the latex source is invalid. I see a \vol here. I'm assuming that is supposed to be some sort of a "v" or a fancy "vol."

10. Feb 4, 2004 #9
    yeah, its the determinant of the Jacobian. and in the case of a Lorentz transformation, this determinant is 1.

11. Feb 4, 2004 #10

turin

Homework Helper

OK, lethe,
    This is probably going to start getting on your nerves, but this termonology (I hope it's just the termonology) is killing me, and I think that you are not quite appreciating how much I am dying from it.

In my first post, I asked how to prove that d4x is a rank (0,0) tensor. (I am of course considering special relativity so the Minkowski metric tensor.) However, I see that you seem to be calling it a 4-form, which I understand to be a rank (0,4) tensor. Maybe I should say a rank (4,0) tensor. Anyway, I understand a 4-form to not be a rank (0,0) tensor.

Do you have any idea what is making me so confused? Am I just being incredibly stubborn about this? Is the distinction trivial or something?

12. Feb 5, 2004 #11
    you probably just say to yourself: "Self, its invariant under Lorentz transformations, so its a scalar, aka (0,0) tensor"

however, as i have said a few times, any physical/geometric object is invariant, it is only the components which may not be invariant.

what makes the case of the volume form a little tricky is that, unlike the case of other tensors, the volume form only has one component. so that component must therefore be invariant, just like a scalar. in fact, using the physicists definition of a tensor, where a tensor is just a matrix which follows a particular set of transformation rules, then this is indistinguishable from a scalar; it is a 1x1 matrix that does not change under Lorentz transformations.

furthermore, the space of scalars is dual to the space of volume forms.

however, strictly speaking, the volume form is not a scalar, it is indeed a tensor. no harm will come of thinking of it like a scalar, but you do not integrate scalars, you integrate forms.

13. Feb 6, 2004 #12
    Hey, consistency in formalism should never go unrewarded. Turin you're right, it's a (0,4) tensor.

If you built it up as [itex] dx^0 \wedge dx^1 \wedge dx^2 \wedge dx^3 [/itex], then it alternates, i.e. [itex] dx^1 \wedge dx^0 \wedge dx^2 \wedge dx^3 [/itex], or any other exchange of the 1-forms, multiplies the volume by -1. A true scalar would have no dependence on the order.

Nonetheless, it has only the one component, so it tends to be thought of as a scalar. "Pseudoscalar" is a term sometimes used.

14. Feb 6, 2004 #13
    The naive volume element d[^n]x is itself a density rather than a n-form.A tensor density transform likes a tensor multiplate with the determinant. you can construct a invariant volume element by multiplying the naive volume element with the root of the determinant of the metric.
    For more information see Chapter 2 Manifolds page 20 and 21 http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/March01/Carroll3/Carroll_contents.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?