40 years since the first moon landing

jtbell
Mentor
Your typical picture of a TV screen always had the camera set at too high a speed and only part of the TV picture would show in the picture.

Fortunately, I had taken pictures from TV screens before, so I knew the proper settings. In that ancient pre-digital era I had to wait until developing the film and printing the pictures, to see how they turned out. I did that myself, in my parents' basement, to save money. I still remember the smell of the developer, fixer, and stop-bath solutions!

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just had an interesting thought. There was a discussion [on the news] about the possibility that much higher quality copies of the moon landing footage existed, but that they were probably destroyed by mistake. Appparently there were recordings made at the first relay station in Australia, which then broadcast to somewhere else, I think, and finally to mission control, and then the major networks. At each step in the process, image quality was lost. What we got were the worst images. The hope was that upline versions still existed, but now it is thought that along with a good deal of related information, they were destroyed by mistake back in the 1970's. In fact I heard about that some years ago from a guy who worked with NASA. He said the much of the engineering information about the rockets was lost as well. Someone actually went into the wrong storage room and threw it all away.

I wonder if the [former] Soviets may still have copies. They almost certainly intercepted and recorded everything.

Last edited:
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I just had an interesting thought. There was a discussion [on the news] about the possibility that much higher quality copies of the moon landing footage existed, but that they were probably destroyed by mistake. Appparently there were recordings made at the first relay station in Australia, which then broadcast to somewhere else, I think, and finally to mission control, and then the major networks. At each step in the process, image quality was lost. What we got were the worst images. The hope was that upline versions still existed, but now it is thought that along with a good deal of related information, they were destroyed by mistake back in the 1970's. In fact I heard about that some years ago from a guy who worked with NASA. He said the much of the engineering information about the rockets was lost as well. Someone actually went into the wrong storage room and threw it all away.

I wonder if the [former] Soviets may still have copies. They almost certainly intercepted and recorded everything.

We have the tapes of the data that an early Sputnik satellite transmitted to the ground that would have resulted in the discovery of the Van Allen radiation belts. The recorder on the satellite failed, so the Soviets couldn't receive any data the satellite received when the satellite was out of sight of Soviet tracking stations.

Unfortunately for them, the satellite passed through the Van Allen radiation belts over the South Atlantic where the Americans could receive the data, but the Soviets couldn't. Unfortunately for the Americans, the data was encrypted so they had no idea what they were recording at the time. (Years later, after the end of the cold war, the US gave the Russians a copy of the data their satellite had been transmitting during the time the Americans were tracking the satellite).

In any event, the Americans wound up discovering the Van Allen radiation belts at a later time with one of our own satellites.

By now, we should all agree on the following facts:

1. The first one to walk on the moon is not Louis Amstrong, it's Michael Jackson.

2. The moon is flat. You need flat surface to do moonwalk. You just can't do it on a sphere. Another evidence is, only flat earth theory is not allowed in Physicsforums. They are silent about the flat moon theory. The PF admins must be knowing something that we, the common people don't.

3. There's no gravity on the moon. That's why they do moonwalk backwards.

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
jobyts, everyone knows a sphere is locally homeomorphic to a plane. Moonwalking is topologically invariant as evidenced by its constancy over Jackson's many topological facelifts, hence moonwalking can occur on a sphere.