45' 90' 45')prism will form a laterally inverted image

In summary, there are two types of images that can be formed by a (45 degrees, 90 degrees, 45 degrees) prism: laterally inverted and inverted. The type of image depends on the viewer's perspective and how they define up/down and left/right. If two parallel light rays are reflected by only one side of the prism, the image will be laterally inverted like a mirror. If two parallel light rays are reflected by two sides of the prism together, the image will be inverted.
edwin2b
How many kinds of nature of image formed by a (45 degrees,90degrees,45degrees) prism are there...??
Can you tell me all in detail...??thx a lot.. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand your question, pls explain with detail...

um..let's put in this way..
I know the (45' 90' 45')prism will form a laterally inverted image or only a inverted image...
But when will the such condition happen..??
i.e. when will the laterally inverted image form out and also the inverted image..
What elements should be satisfied to form each respectively..?? :smile:

i still don't understand your question, but let me do a little bit explanation here, the image is laterally inverted or vertically inverted is depend on the viewer, and how do you define UP/DOWN and LEFT/RIGHT, anyway, the image through a prism will reflected one time, so, either LEFT/RIGHT or UP/DOWN will reverse ONE TIME, and not both...hope this answer your question

but the prism has 3 sides..
they will do total internal reflection..

the following is the description of my drawing at home:

I found that if two parallel light rays is total internal reflected by only one side of the prism..the image will be laterally inverted(just like a mirror)

and the other case is that if two parallel light rays is total internal reflected by two sides of the prism together,the image will be inverted..

Is it correct ...??

yes, u are correct

What is a 45' 90' 45' prism?

A 45' 90' 45' prism is a type of prism that has two 45 degree angles and one 90 degree angle, making it a right triangle prism. It is also known as a right angle prism.

How does a 45' 90' 45' prism form a laterally inverted image?

A 45' 90' 45' prism works by reflecting light at a 90 degree angle, causing the image to be flipped horizontally or laterally. This is due to the rearrangement of the rays of light as they pass through the prism.

What is the application of a 45' 90' 45' prism?

A 45' 90' 45' prism is commonly used in optical instruments such as cameras, periscopes, and binoculars to flip and redirect light in a particular direction. It is also used in physics experiments to demonstrate the principles of reflection and refraction.

How is the lateral inversion of an image in a 45' 90' 45' prism different from a mirror?

In a mirror, the image is laterally inverted due to the reflective surface. However, in a 45' 90' 45' prism, the image is laterally inverted due to the refraction of light at a 90 degree angle. This means that the image will appear flipped when viewed through the prism, but it is not a true mirror image.

Can a 45' 90' 45' prism be used to create an upright image?

Yes, a 45' 90' 45' prism can be used to create an upright image by simply adding a second prism to the first one. The second prism will flip the image back to its original orientation, resulting in an upright image.