Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

45' 90' 45')prism will form a laterally inverted image

1. Jan 10, 2005 #1
    How many kinds of nature of image formed by a (45 degrees,90degrees,45degrees) prism are there...??
    Can you tell me all in detail...??thx a lot.. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2005 #2
    I don't quite understand your question, pls explain with detail.....

4. Jan 10, 2005 #3
    um..let's put in this way..
    I know the (45' 90' 45')prism will form a laterally inverted image or only a inverted image...
    But when will the such condition happen..??
    i.e. when will the laterally inverted image form out and also the inverted image..
    What elements should be satisfied to form each respectively..?? :smile:

5. Jan 10, 2005 #4
    i still don't understand your question, but let me do a little bit explaination here, the image is laterally inverted or vertically inverted is depend on the viewer, and how do you define UP/DOWN and LEFT/RIGHT, anyway, the image through a prism will reflected one time, so, either LEFT/RIGHT or UP/DOWN will reverse ONE TIME, and not both.......hope this answer your question

6. Jan 10, 2005 #5
    but the prism has 3 sides..
    they will do total internal reflection..

the following is the description of my drawing at home:

I found that if two parallel light rays is total internal reflected by only one side of the prism..the image will be laterally inverted(just like a mirror)

and the other case is that if two parallel light rays is total internal reflected by two sides of the prism together,the image will be inverted..

7. Jan 10, 2005 #6
    Is it correct ...??

8. Jan 10, 2005 #7
    yes, u are correct

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?