Using 45W Solar Panel to Charge Battery for Laptop & Lights

In summary, the speaker recently acquired a 45 Watt solar panel and is wondering if it will be enough to power small lights and a laptop computer. The panel produces about 20 volts and 2 amps, and the battery takes about 14 hours to charge. The speaker has successfully used a 6 amp charger in the past for small lights. The laptop computer uses a 12 volt socket plug and 19 V DC. The speaker is asking for help in determining if they need more panels and if they can hook two panels to one battery, and if so, how to hook them up. It is mentioned that the laptop likely uses 50-90W and the 45W solar panel may only be able to power it for
starkind
I recently acquired a 45 Watt solar panel and am now curious about how best to use it. I am currently connecting it to a 60 amp hour battery, on which I would like to store electricity to run small lights and a laptop computer. How can I figure out if this setup will be enough for my small uses?

The panels are putting out about 20 volts, so I am getting about two amps. I used to use a 6 amp charger (from an AC outlet) and it took about 14 hours to charge the battery. So now I am wondering if my 45 W panel will keep my battery charged at my use rate.

I have in the past run a few small lights on my battery, and it lasts for months on a charge. I would like to run a telephone and a laptop computer. The computer has a 12 volt socket plug which connects to a port on the computer labelled 19 V DC.

Any help? Do I need more panels? Can I hook two panels to one battery? If so, should I hook them in parallel or in series?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your computer probably uses somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-90W, depending upon the model and what you're doing with it. Your 45W solar panel is only able to collect 45W at noon; at other times of the day, it will produce significantly less power.

You haven't told us how much you intend to use the laptop, either, but there's no way this single solar panel will be able to power your laptop 24 hours a day. 2-3 hours a day would be more likely.

- Warren

Based on the information provided, it seems like your setup should be sufficient for your small uses. A 45 Watt solar panel is a decent size and should be able to provide enough energy to charge your 60 amp hour battery. However, it is always a good idea to do some calculations to ensure that your setup can meet your energy needs.

First, let's look at the power output of your solar panel. You mentioned that it is putting out about 20 volts and 2 amps. This means that the maximum power output of your panel is 40 watts (20 volts x 2 amps = 40 watts). Keep in mind that this is the maximum output and may vary depending on factors such as weather conditions and the angle of the panel.

Next, we need to consider how much energy your laptop and lights will consume. To do this, you will need to find the wattage ratings of each device. For example, if your laptop has a 19 volt DC input and consumes 2.5 amps, then it will require 47.5 watts (19 volts x 2.5 amps = 47.5 watts) to charge. You can do the same calculation for your lights and any other devices you plan on using with the battery.

Once you have determined the wattage of each device, you can add them together to get the total wattage required. In this case, if your lights consume 10 watts and your laptop consumes 47.5 watts, then your total wattage requirement is 57.5 watts. This means that your 45 watt solar panel should be able to provide enough energy to keep your battery charged while using these devices.

If you do find that your solar panel is not producing enough energy, you can consider adding another panel to your setup. You can hook them up in parallel or in series, depending on your needs. Hooking them up in parallel will increase the current (amps) while keeping the voltage the same, while hooking them up in series will increase the voltage while keeping the current the same. It is best to consult a professional or do some research before making any changes to your setup.

In conclusion, it seems like your 45 watt solar panel should be enough to keep your battery charged while using your laptop and lights. However, it is always a good idea to do some calculations and potentially add more panels if needed. With proper usage and maintenance, your solar panel setup can provide a sustainable and eco-friendly

1. How long does it take for a 45W solar panel to charge a battery for a laptop and lights?

The time it takes for a 45W solar panel to charge a battery for a laptop and lights depends on a variety of factors such as the weather conditions, the efficiency of the solar panel, and the capacity of the battery. On average, it can take anywhere from 6-10 hours to fully charge a battery using a 45W solar panel.

2. Can a 45W solar panel charge multiple devices at once?

Yes, a 45W solar panel has enough power to charge multiple devices at once. However, it may take longer to charge each individual device compared to charging them one at a time. It is important to make sure the total power consumption of the devices does not exceed the output of the solar panel.

3. What type of battery is suitable for use with a 45W solar panel?

A 45W solar panel is best used with a deep cycle battery, such as a lead-acid or lithium-ion battery. These types of batteries can handle repeated charging and discharging cycles without losing their capacity. It is important to make sure the battery's capacity is compatible with the output of the solar panel.

4. Can a 45W solar panel charge a laptop and lights simultaneously?

Yes, a 45W solar panel can charge a laptop and lights simultaneously. However, it is important to make sure the total power consumption of both devices does not exceed the output of the solar panel. It may also take longer to charge both devices compared to charging them separately.

5. Is it possible to use a 45W solar panel to charge a battery for a laptop and lights during cloudy or overcast days?

Yes, a 45W solar panel can still charge a battery for a laptop and lights during cloudy or overcast days. However, the charging time may be longer and the battery may not reach a full charge. It is important to position the solar panel in the sunniest spot possible and to use a battery with a higher capacity to compensate for lower solar energy production.