49-foot python captured in Indonesia

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Python
In summary, the 49-foot python was captured in Indonesia last year and has a diameter of 2.8 feet. It is fed 5 full grown dogs a month and has a head size of around the size of a crocodile's head.
zoobyshoe
Technology news on Phys.org
They feed it 5 full grown dogs a month

holy cow! it has a diameter of 2.8 feet
I wonder how old it is?
here are some more pics of it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/photo_gallery/3356945.stm

---------------
...I'm being swallowed by a boa-constrictor,
And I don't like it one little bit...

Thanks for those additional pictures, fish. This is an amazing reptile, indeed.

The amazing thing is that they only captured it a year ago, it used to be out in the jungle hunting..

I read about this a few days ago in one of britains tabloid newspapers but thought it was a joke!

Are there any better pictures out there that give a better representation of scale? Just how big is its head? I figure it must be about the size of a crocodiles head, well almost.

I have just done a quick search on google and only found the same pictures, will just have to travel to Indonesia to find out myself!

Last edited:
Originally posted by Andy I have just done a quick search on google and only found the same pictures, will just have to travel to Indonesia to find out myself!
Bring a camera, and put the pictures where we can get to them. I'd be interested in seeing some better photos as well.

Origionally Posted By Monique
I thought those were pretty good?

Yea those Pics where quite good, but i would like to see somebody standing next to its head or something, or even better get steve irwin to dangle his baby in front of it. lol

When a recreation park in Indonesia put a huge reticulated python on show last week, keepers insisted to reporters it was 15 metres long.

That made it the longest ever caught.

But amid growing scepticism of the claim, a photographer working for Reuters returned to the Curugsewu park in the small central Java town of Kendal on Wednesday with a measuring tape.

The snake's true length - around 6.5 metres.
Starts to sound like a publicity stunt??

Originally posted by Monique
Starts to sound like a publicity stunt??

No, people don't do things like that. The snake must have shrunk 8.5 meters or maybe it was originally measured in feet and they were not good with conversions.

Nautica

What species is the 49-foot python?

The 49-foot python captured in Indonesia is a reticulated python (Python reticulatus).

How did the python end up in Indonesia?

The reticulated python is native to Southeast Asia, including Indonesia. It is possible that the python was either born and raised in Indonesia or migrated there from a neighboring country.

How often do reticulated pythons reach such extreme lengths?

Reticulated pythons are known to reach lengths of up to 30 feet, but it is rare for them to reach lengths of 49 feet. This is likely due to a combination of factors such as diet, habitat, and genetics.

What is the average size of a reticulated python?

The average size of a reticulated python is between 10-20 feet, making the 49-foot python a significantly larger specimen.

What will happen to the 49-foot python now that it has been captured?

The fate of the 49-foot python is uncertain, but it is possible that it will be placed in a zoo or wildlife sanctuary for further study and conservation efforts. It may also be released back into the wild if it is determined to be in good health and able to survive on its own.