49 years ago today

• Thread starter fbsthreads
  • Start date
einstein died.

apparantly he was cremated on the same day?

it should be an international holiday.

Answers and Replies

JJ
Nah, I believe a holiday would cheapen Einstein's exploits. You can only really appreciate him if you remotely understand his theories, otherwise it's just like idolizing some hollywood celebrity schmoe.

unless the holiday was used to raise physics awareness?

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Then everyday is a holiday here. :smile:

- Warren

JJ
Holidays don't raise awareness, think how many kids really know that Christmas is Christ's death and resurection, as opposed to "get presents". I bet most people think Einstein was a dinosaur of the Cretaceous era, battling T-Rexs and eating fruits from trees.

jj no disrespect but xmas was his supposed birth (i have read that it was actually on 8th october) and easter was his crucifiction and ressurection, but holidays arent really the ideal solution to raise awareness i think, i believe just educating the general public would raise awareness for physics ya know? just get a couple of kegs maybe a big bonfire a couple of physics lecturers and u got urself a good ol' fashion ho-down.
peace

Kids are screwed up enough as it is. Why mangle their minds more with stuff like Special Relativity?

cookiemonster

It'll explain how they are 'special' 'relative' to the other kids.

fbsthreads said:
einstein died.

apparantly he was cremated on the same day?

it should be an international holiday.

One of my all time favorite editorial cartoons appeared in the Washington Post the day after Einstein died. It showed the earth with planets, stars and galaxies in the background. There was a sign stuck in the earth that read, "Albert Einstein lived here."

rj
FUNKER said:
and easter was his crucifiction and ressurection,

hey funker, no disrespect but, goodfriday is associated with with crucifiction and easter, which was last sunday, with ressurection.

jimmy p
Gold Member
chroot said:
Then everyday is a holiday here. :smile:

- Warren

oh... that's why it's called physicsforums then... :confused:

I was born on April 1st, 1955. Einstein died a couple weeks later. It could be I was the last straw.

jimmy p
Gold Member
OK, I'm blaming Zooby for Einstein's death. Lets lynch him! oh, wait, that means we are forcing him to join the Navy....uh, ok, lets BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!! (or steak, which ever you prefer)

well thanks rj for saying exactly wat i said and no disrespect was taken i hope i dont disrespect you by saying this, good friday through to easter monday is reffered to the easter period.
peace :redface:

jimmy p said:
OK, I'm blaming Zooby for Einstein's death. Lets lynch him! oh, wait, that means we are forcing him to join the Navy....uh, ok, lets BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!! (or steak, which ever you prefer)
I couldn't help it! I was only two weeks old at the time!!!!

jimmy p
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
I couldn't help it! I was only two weeks old at the time!!!!

That's a poor excuse :biggrin: