Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

49 years ago today

1. Apr 17, 2004 #1
    einstein died.

apparantly he was cremated on the same day?

it should be an international holiday.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2004 #2

JJ

Nah, I believe a holiday would cheapen Einstein's exploits. You can only really appreciate him if you remotely understand his theories, otherwise it's just like idolizing some hollywood celebrity schmoe.

4. Apr 17, 2004 #3
    unless the holiday was used to raise physics awareness?

5. Apr 17, 2004 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then everyday is a holiday here. :smile:

- Warren

6. Apr 17, 2004 #5

JJ

Holidays don't raise awareness, think how many kids really know that Christmas is Christ's death and resurection, as opposed to "get presents". I bet most people think Einstein was a dinosaur of the Cretaceous era, battling T-Rexs and eating fruits from trees.

7. Apr 17, 2004 #6
    jj no disrespect but xmas was his supposed birth (i have read that it was actually on 8th october) and easter was his crucifiction and ressurection, but holidays arent really the ideal solution to raise awareness i think, i believe just educating the general public would raise awareness for physics ya know? just get a couple of kegs maybe a big bonfire a couple of physics lecturers and u got urself a good ol' fashion ho-down.
    peace

8. Apr 18, 2004 #7
    Kids are screwed up enough as it is. Why mangle their minds more with stuff like Special Relativity?

cookiemonster

9. Apr 18, 2004 #8
    It'll explain how they are 'special' 'relative' to the other kids.

10. Apr 18, 2004 #9
    One of my all time favorite editorial cartoons appeared in the Washington Post the day after Einstein died. It showed the earth with planets, stars and galaxies in the background. There was a sign stuck in the earth that read, "Albert Einstein lived here."

11. Apr 18, 2004 #10

rj

hey funker, no disrespect but, goodfriday is associated with with crucifiction and easter, which was last sunday, with ressurection.

12. Apr 18, 2004 #11

jimmy p

Gold Member

oh... that's why it's called physicsforums then... :confused:

13. Apr 19, 2004 #12
    I was born on April 1st, 1955. Einstein died a couple weeks later. It could be I was the last straw.

14. Apr 19, 2004 #13

jimmy p

Gold Member

OK, I'm blaming Zooby for Einstein's death. Lets lynch him! oh, wait, that means we are forcing him to join the Navy....uh, ok, lets BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!! (or steak, which ever you prefer)

15. Apr 19, 2004 #14
    well thanks rj for saying exactly wat i said and no disrespect was taken i hope i dont disrespect you by saying this, good friday through to easter monday is reffered to the easter period.
    peace :redface:

16. Apr 20, 2004 #15
    I couldn't help it! I was only two weeks old at the time!!!!

17. Apr 20, 2004 #16

jimmy p

Gold Member

That's a poor excuse :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?