1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4D warping

1. Dec 30, 2005 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

In 2D for example, warping it only makes sence in a 3D enviorment. In a 2D world, bending 2D would be meaningless. So in GR when we talk about bending 4D ST, is a fifth dimension needed to give ST something to "bend into"? If not, in what sence can we talk about warped ST? I suspect that maybe it warps not in a physical (dimensional - into another dimension) way, but rather the cooardinite system gets messed up and those effects are noticable in 3D. Can someone clarify this please?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2005 #2

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No daniel_i_l, you do not need a fifth dimension for space-time curvature. The curvature can be defined and described in terms of the intrinsic geometry of the manifold: do the internal angels of a triangle sum to 2[itex]\pi[/itex]? do parallel lines meet? does a vector, such as the axis of a Gravity Probe B gyroscope, still point in the same direction when you have parallel transported it around a closed circuit?

However in order to visualise the situation, and Einstein himself said that he needed to be able to visualise his theories to understand them, as a mental exercise you do need the higher dimension in which to embed the 4D manifold of space-time.

Garth

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  4. Dec 30, 2005 #3
    Consider an ant walking on the surface of the earth. If there were no hills or mountains, to him, the existence of the 3rd spatial (height) dimension would be non-existent as he would never experience it. However, he could still experience the curvature of the earth's surface, which is purely a 2D space. As Garth has pointed out, he could walk a giant triangle (with a vertex at the North pole, and 2 at the equator, for example) and see that the triange has a total internal angle of [itex]3\pi[/itex].

5. Dec 30, 2005 #4

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Thanks, so if I understand correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong) if for example 2D space was represented as a grid with eavenly spaced intersection points, in warped space the poits would be closer in some places and further is others ("messed up cooardinates")?

6. Dec 30, 2005 #5
    Well, you could always consider whatever the co-ordinates are around you as "straight lines intersecting perpendicularly". But the point is that co-ordinate lines far away from you wouldn't necessarily look "straight and perpendicular" compared to the ones around you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?