4DOF Spur Gear System - Eigenvalues not corresponding with the Eqns?

In summary, Randy provided a summary of the content and explained that there is something wrong with the equations of motion because they only include the force from the deflection of the stiffness connecting the gears - only kmb appears, not either ks. He also updated the stiffness matrix to include the stiffness of the bearings and solved the updated dynamic matrix to yield three purely positive eigenvalues with one zero.
Sirsh
Hi there,

I am modelling a four degree of freedom system which is the dynamics of two spur gears in mesh, having two rotational and two translation degrees of freedom, respectively, a diagram exhibiting the system can be seen below.

4dofsysgear.jpg

I have derived the equations of motion (EOM) and rearranged into ODEs as seen:
eqs.jpg

Where the force and torque relations are (used in the derivation process):
eqs1.jpg

Following this I have made rewritten equations 1-4 into matrix form, creating mass and stiffness matrices.
eqs2.jpg

I have been having trouble achieving steady state of this system in my simulations using Simulink and MATLAB, so I was advised to check the eigenvalues of the dynamic matrix as well as make sure that the mass matrix is diagonal while the stiffness matrix is symmetrical - they both are.

The dynamic matrix is defined as the inverse of the mass matrix multiplied by the stiffness matrix, e.g. Dyn = inv(M)*K.

Now, I have input all this into MATLAB with the corresponding values for each of the parameters. However, I can never achieve purely positive eigenvalues for this system, as I'm told is required and may be the issue with my simulation, and where if they're not all positive (including one zero) then the system of equations are incorrect. However, I have reviewed literature on spur gear dynamics and the equations are the same...

This is exhibited below as an output of my MATLAB eigenvalue calculating script:
matlab.jpg

matlab1.jpg

Any help would be appreciated greatly, as I am an undergraduate student researching solo. So any advice on my interpretation of either the system dynamics or eigenvalue interpretation would be helpful from you all.

Thanks, Sirsh.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think I can help. Let's start with the eigenvalues, which correspond to (the squares of) your modal frequencies. Since the system you have has exactly one way of moving without causing any forces (when the gears rotate opposite directions according to their gear ratio), you should have exactly one zero-frequency mode. You have three, so yes, something isn't right.

Looking at your stiffness matrix, I noticed there weren't any terms involving the addition of multiple stiffnesses. Whenever motions are coupled by springs, there will be interaction, signaled by stiffness matrix terms containing more than one stiffness.

I believe this all results from your torque and force equations. As written, you are only including the force from the deflection of the stiffness connecting the gears - only kmb appears, not either ks. You need to include the stiffnesses of your bearings; F=kx. Remember that in using F=ma, it's the resultant force applied to the mass, not just one. So each mass in your system should have a combined "bearing force" and "gear tooth" force acting on it.

Likes John Taco and Sirsh
Randy Beikmann said:
I think I can help. Let's start with the eigenvalues, which correspond to (the squares of) your modal frequencies. Since the system you have has exactly one way of moving without causing any forces (when the gears rotate opposite directions according to their gear ratio), you should have exactly one zero-frequency mode. You have three, so yes, something isn't right.

Looking at your stiffness matrix, I noticed there weren't any terms involving the addition of multiple stiffnesses. Whenever motions are coupled by springs, there will be interaction, signaled by stiffness matrix terms containing more than one stiffness.

I believe this all results from your torque and force equations. As written, you are only including the force from the deflection of the stiffness connecting the gears - only kmb appears, not either ks. You need to include the stiffnesses of your bearings; F=kx. Remember that in using F=ma, it's the resultant force applied to the mass, not just one. So each mass in your system should have a combined "bearing force" and "gear tooth" force acting on it.

Hi Randy, thanks so much for your input!

I have updated my stiffness matrix to include the stiffness of the bearings which is now:
eqs2rev.jpg

And by solving the updated dynamic matrix, has yielded three purely positive eigenvalues with one zero.

So it seems like its responding as it should, now to see the simulation results!

By the way, you can also use Matlab to get the eigenvectors, which are the mode shapes corresponding to each modal frequency (the square root of the eigenvalues). And you can state the eigenvalue problem using the mass and stiffness matrices directly:

[V,D]=eig(K,M)

The columns of V are the eigenvectors, and the diagonal of D is the list of eigenvalues.

Hi,
thanks so much for sharing your answers and work.
I am analyzing this gear modeling and I have three questions:
1) I think the variables are:
Ѳ_p
Ѳ_g
x_p
x_g
T_p (torque)
T_g (torque)
There are 4 equations and 6 variables. How to solve this?
Do I have to assume values for T_p and T_q? are they equal?

2) could I assume that Ks=Kmb?

3) what are the initial values for the variables and derived variables?John Taco

1. What is a 4DOF Spur Gear System?

A 4DOF (degrees of freedom) spur gear system is a mechanical system consisting of four gear components that are connected and interact with one another, allowing for rotational motion in four different directions.

2. What are eigenvalues and why are they important in this system?

Eigenvalues are values that represent the possible states or modes of motion of a system. In the case of a 4DOF spur gear system, eigenvalues correspond to the natural frequencies at which the gears will rotate. They are important in this system because they determine the stability and behavior of the system.

3. Why might the eigenvalues not correspond with the equations in a 4DOF spur gear system?

There are several possible reasons for this discrepancy. It could be due to errors in the equations, incorrect assumptions about the system, or external factors such as friction or imperfections in the gears. It is important to carefully analyze and validate the equations to ensure they accurately represent the system.

4. How can eigenvalues be calculated for a 4DOF spur gear system?

Eigenvalues can be calculated through mathematical analysis or through simulation using software programs such as MATLAB or ANSYS. It is important to use accurate and validated equations to ensure the calculated eigenvalues are correct.

5. What are some potential applications of a 4DOF spur gear system?

A 4DOF spur gear system can be used in various mechanical systems such as gearboxes, transmissions, and different types of machinery. It can also be used in robotics, where precise and coordinated movements are required. Additionally, the analysis of a 4DOF spur gear system can provide valuable insights for optimizing and improving the performance of other mechanical systems.