Exploring the 4th Dimension: Understanding Time in Spatial Dimensions

In summary, the concept of a "dimension" is a way to specify all the conditions of a problem. In physics, we use four dimensions to identify events - three for space and one for time. However, the order of these dimensions is arbitrary. Additionally, it is possible to plot a four dimensional point using a constantly changing graph.
hafiz ns

Homework Statement

is there a 4th dimension. if yes can anyone explain it ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

4th dimension includes time also am i right ? which is X,Y,Z + time

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand what a "dimension" is? A "dimension", in a given problem, is just a number you use to specify all the conditions of the problem. If I were doing a geometry problem connected with spheres of different radii with centers at different points in space, to identify a specific such sphere, I would have to give the three coordinates of its center and its radius- four numbers so this is a "four dimensional" problem. If I were doing a problem involving points in the plane, I might set up an xy coordinate system and label each point by its x and y coordinates- two dimensions because two numbers. If I were doing a problem involving points in "R3" I would set up a coordinate system with x, y, and z axes and every point would be labeled by (x, y, z)- three numbers so three dimensions.

In physics, we are concerned with "events"- things that happen at a particular point in space at a particular time. We require three numbers (coordinates) to identify the point and one number to identify the time. In that sense we are working with four dimensions. Of course, which is the "first", "second", "third", or "fourth" dimension is purely conventional.

Likes hafiz ns
thanks hallsofivy ...

Also, you could plot a four dimensional point using a constantly changing graph, say, point A's coordinates are 1 by 2 by 3 by 4, which could mean the x is one, the y is 2, and the z is 3 after 4 seconds have passed. Graphing functions like this also works.

1. What is the 4th dimension?

The 4th dimension refers to time in the context of spatial dimensions. It is often represented as the "fourth" axis in a graph, in addition to the traditional three spatial dimensions of length, width, and height.

2. How is time related to spatial dimensions?

Time is a fundamental aspect of the universe and is closely related to the three spatial dimensions. The concept of the 4th dimension allows us to understand how time and space are interconnected and how they influence each other.

3. Can we physically travel through the 4th dimension?

No, we cannot physically travel through the 4th dimension as we do with the other three dimensions. Time is a one-way street, meaning we can only move forward in time, and we cannot go back to the past or jump into the future.

4. How do scientists study the 4th dimension?

Scientists use various tools and theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity and quantum mechanics, to study the 4th dimension. They also conduct experiments and observations to understand how time behaves in different situations and how it affects the other three dimensions.

5. Can we visualize the 4th dimension?

It is challenging for humans to visualize the 4th dimension, as our brains are wired to perceive the world in three dimensions. However, we can use mathematical models and computer simulations to represent and understand the concept of the 4th dimension.