Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4th order tensor double product

1. Jul 15, 2014 #1
    Hello,

Been a long time lurker, but first time poster. I hope I can be very thorough and descriptive. So, I have been battling with a double inner product of a 2nd order tensor with a 4th order one. So my question is:

How do we expand (using tensor properties) a double dot product of the basis vectors to a simpler one?

[tex](e_ie_je_ke_l):(e_me_n)=?[/tex]

and

[tex](e_ie_j):(e_ke_le_me_n)=?[/tex]

Thanks a lot!!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2014 #2
    Are you missing the definitions or what exactly is the problem?
    I haven't seen this being used before.

4. Jul 15, 2014 #3
    What exactly haven't you seen been used before? The double dot product of a tensor of n=4 with one of n=2? You mean you have only seen it being used for tensors of equal order?

The properties I am refering to, is actually expanding the double dot product to two single dot products!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  5. Jul 15, 2014 #4
    The "double dot product". What I am saying is that you will rarely find this being used in modern differential geometry, for the plain reason that we have tensor products, contractions, etc. . I believe that this is the reason why you are not getting any responses. Moreover, this is a linear algebra question, not a geometry one.

Either way, if you provide the definitions in terms of said concepts and show how far you got, I am sure people will be able to help you.

6. Jul 16, 2014 #5
    Double dot is used extensively in continuum mechanics, even in 2014! For example, 4th order tensors represent orientation of rigid fibers in a 3D space, and 2nd order tensor is the velocity gradient of a flow field.
    So should I move my question to the linear algebra section?
    My basic question is this actually: "Is the following statement correct? D:uuuu=(D:uu)uu, meaning can i represent a 4th order tensor as a dyad of two 2nd order tensors?And if yes which are the requirements? Symmetry?" I thought it was a pretty straightforward question!

7. Mar 3, 2015 #6
    The product contracts the order of the 4th order tensor to a 2nd order tensor. i.e.
    Aijkl ei ej ek el : Bmn em en = Aijkl Bmn ei ej dkm dln = Aijkl Bkl ei ej

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook