Can You Crack This Number Puzzle?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the lowest number for which the number just below it is divisible by 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. The final answer was determined to be 59, using different methods of solving the puzzle. The solution of LCM - 1 was proven to be the smallest possible solution.
michealsmith
a number puzzle...

tell me a the lowest number for which
the number just below it is divisible by 2 ,the one below that 3, below that 4 ,and below that 5 ,and below that 6 .

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it 59 ?

damm to quickly solved yep ur right ill tell u the method i used then compare it with urs ..i wan t to know wat urs was as well ..assume has 2 digits ..number ending in 5 has either o or 5 on its end ..but add 3 and it must be divisible by 2 so it must end in 5 , add 2 and it must be divisble by 3 ..so sum of didgits must sum to a multiple of 3 so its 1st digit is either 27or 57 or 87 since subtracting 1 must be divisible by 4 it must be 57 so add 2 and u get ...59

michealsmith said:
damm to quickly solved yep ur right ill tell u the method i used then compare it with urs ..i wan t to know wat urs was as well ..assume has 2 digits ..number ending in 5 has either o or 5 on its end ..but add 3 and it must be divisible by 2 so it must end in 5 , add 2 and it must be divisble by 3 ..so sum of didgits must sum to a multiple of 3 so its 1st digit is either 27or 57 or 87 since subtracting 1 must be divisible by 4 it must be 57 so add 2 and u get ...59

I just worked it out in my head just multiplying 6 by progressive integers until I found one where adding 1 was a multiple of 5, adding 2 a multiple of 4 etc..

I solved it by taking the LCM of 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.Then that number -2 is divisible by 2,, that number -3 is divisible by 3, etc. So the answer is LCM - 1.

I like daveb's solution. My solution:

We're looking for a number such that:

x-1 = 0 (mod 2)
x-2 = 0 (mod 3)

giving

x = 1 (mod 2)
x = 2 (mod 3)
x = 5 (mod 6)

We see that x = 5 (mod 6) makes x = 1 (mod 2) and x = 2 (mod 3) redundant, so we just need to solve:

x = 3 (mod 4)
x = 4 (mod 5)
x = 5 (mod 6)

The Chinese remainder theorem guarantees a unique solution (mod 30) to the last two congruences. It's easy to solve. The second gives x = 4 + 5y. Plugging into the third gives:

4 + 5y = 5 (mod 6)
5y = 1 (mod 6)
y = 5 (mod 6)

So x = 4 + 5(5) = 29 is the unique solution (mod 30). We see that 29 is not congruent to 3 (mod 4), so we add 30, and get 59, which is congruent to 3 (mod 4), so we're done. I'm not sure if daveb's solution proves that LCM - 1 is the least possible solution, but if it does, then it's a nice solution.

EDIT: Actually, yes it does. If x is the solution, then the conditions of the problem require that x+1 is divisible by 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. This means that LCM | x+1. The smallest possible choices for x+1 is thus, clearly, LCM, so the smallest choice for x is LCM - 1.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the "Can You Crack This Number Puzzle?"

The purpose of the "Can You Crack This Number Puzzle?" is to challenge your problem-solving skills and logical reasoning by attempting to solve a complex number puzzle.

2. How difficult is the "Can You Crack This Number Puzzle?"

The difficulty of the "Can You Crack This Number Puzzle?" can vary depending on the complexity and length of the puzzle. Generally, it is considered to be a challenging puzzle that requires critical thinking and patience.

3. Is there a specific method or strategy for solving the "Can You Crack This Number Puzzle?"

There is no specific method or strategy for solving the "Can You Crack This Number Puzzle?" as each puzzle is unique. However, some common approaches include breaking the puzzle into smaller parts, using mathematical operations, and trial and error.

4. How long does it typically take to solve the "Can You Crack This Number Puzzle?"

The time it takes to solve the "Can You Crack This Number Puzzle?" can vary greatly depending on the individual's problem-solving skills and the complexity of the puzzle. It can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours or even days.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving the "Can You Crack This Number Puzzle?"

While there are no guaranteed tips or tricks for solving the "Can You Crack This Number Puzzle?", some suggestions include starting with the simpler operations, paying attention to patterns, and staying organized by writing down your thought process.