1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4x6 matrix

1. Aug 18, 2011 #1
    I have a problem that involves 4 simulationious equations with 6 unknown variables.
    Been trying to solve it using elimination but getting stuck in a loop.
    Any advice on how to solve this? I know there will be multiple answers.
    Is elimination the best method?

Can't upload the problem now cause I have writing this from a phone, so if you need the question I'll upload it as soon as I can.

Thank you for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, elimination seems to be the right way to go.
    So we'll try to help once you uploaded the problem and what you tried...

4. Aug 18, 2011 #3
    Thank you sorry for the useless post haha I'll get it up as soon as I get home

5. Aug 18, 2011 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Such systems are met with millions of time per day when solving _linear programming_ problems. There, the concept of a *basic* solution arises; this is a solution in which four of the variables are solved for as functions of the other two, then setting those two to zero, assuming that the 4x4 submatrix of those 4 variables is nonsingular. If every choice of 4x4 matrix is allowed (i.e., all are nonsingular), the number of basic solutions is C(6,4) = 6*5/2 = 15. If some of the 4x4 matrices are singular, the corresponding basic solution is non-existent (by definition).

While there could be as many as 15 different basic solutions there are infinitely many non-basic solutions, simply by assigning arbitrary non-zero values to the right-hand-side variables in each basic system.

For more on basic solutions, see, eg.,
    http://www2.isye.gatech.edu/~spyros/LP/LP.html .

RGV

6. Aug 20, 2011 #5
    sorry for the ridiculously late reply. Finally got home so here is the question and my attempt at a solution.

Attached Files:

7. Aug 20, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well the first thing I notice is that if you add twice the second equation to the first equation, you eliminate three unknowns at a stroke! [itex]x_3[/itex], [itex]x_4[/itex], and [itex]x_6[/itex] all cancel leaving [itex]4x_1+ 4x_2- 7x_5= -2[/itex]. Since you know you will want to solve for four of the unknowns in terms of the other two, I would choose the two to be [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] so that I already have [itex]x_5= (4/7)x_1+ (4/7)x_2+ 2/7[/itex].

Replace [itex]x_5[/itex] in each of the equations by that and continue.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  8. Aug 21, 2011 #7
    Of course. Thank you, will continue working and let you guys know how I go.

9. Aug 31, 2011 #8
    So I left this problem and I have come back to it.
    I have ended up with
    x1=-3-x2
    x3=-1+x6
    x4=3
    x5=-2

I am stuck...is this the answer?
    I know 2 will be defined, 2 will be infinite and 2 will be defined by the infinite variables.
    I am just not sure how to get to that conclusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook