Tanzania Quake Leaves 13 Dead, 200 Injured

• Thread starter 1oldman2
  • Start date
In summary: Nice landscaping, that pic reminds me of the Santa Barbara, California area. Interesting geology in that area considering the lake is sandwiched between two rifts.
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
1oldman2 said:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-37330418
13 dead 200 injured in 5.7 Tanzania quake, near lake Victoria.

Fortunately a very low population density area in the immediate region of the epicentre
I see it also got upgraded to a M 5.9. I recorded the tiniest burst of surface waves from it for ~ 10 minutes
I would have easily have felt that had it happened back in late April 2016, I was only 150km (95 miles) from the epicentre
whilst visiting Uganda
Dave

Likes 1oldman2
I saw that yesterday, when it was listed as a 5.7 mag.

M5.9 - 23km ENE of Nsunga, Tanzania - near border with Uganda.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006nkx#executive

Speaking of unusual or uncommon regions, there was also M6.0 - 51km N of Moyobamba, Peru
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006nkg#executive

and this morning - a M5.3 - 4km ENE of Skopje, Macedonia - right under Skopje and shallow.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006nuj#executive

Likes davenn and 1oldman2
Astronuc said:
there was also M6.0 - 51km N of Moyobamba, Peru
When I see Earthquake and Peru in the same sentence I always think of the coastal areas, I was surprised to see it so far inland. I noticed that area has a considerable history of quakes within the last 50 years.
Astronuc said:
and this morning - a M5.3 - 4km ENE of Skopje, Macedonia - right under Skopje and shallow.
I noticed the population of Skopje is over half a million, the surrounding area must be over a million easy, with the center so shallow this could have been much worse.

davenn said:
Fortunately a very low population density area in the immediate region of the epicentre
I see it also got upgraded to a M 5.9. I recorded the tiniest burst of surface waves from it for ~ 10 minutes
I would have easily have felt that had it happened back in late April 2016, I was only 150km (95 miles) from the epicentre
whilst visiting Uganda
Dave
Good thing the population was low in the area, looking at it on G Earth it doesn't look like there is much seismic engineering in the building codes. (Lake Victoria is a beautiful area, must be great to visit there.)

Last edited:
1oldman2 said:
it doesn't look like there is much seismic engineering in the building codes.

yup, it's that way for most of Africa ( and other parts of the world -- pretty much all of south and central America and central Asia)
It is what accounts for the majority of the deaths, even from moderate events like this one

Likes 1oldman2
1oldman2 said:
When I see Earthquake and Peru in the same sentence I always think of the coastal areas, I was surprised to see it so far inland. I noticed that area has a considerable history of quakes within the last 50 years.

Indeed, the Andes mountain range didn't get pushed up so high without 100's of 1000's of large and small quakes over millions of years
That whole western side of South America is very active as it is a mega-thrust subduction zone

I did get some surface waves from that Peru M6.0 for 10 - 20 minutes, nothing spectactular

Dave

Last edited:
1oldman2 said:
Lake Victoria is a beautiful area, must be great to visit there

just as a little tease, this was the view of Lake Victoria from the hotel I stayed at in Entebbe

DSCF4293sm.jpg

davenn said:
just as a little tease, this was the view of Lake Victoria from the hotel I stayed at in Entebbe

View attachment 105782
Nice landscaping, that pic reminds me of the Santa Barbara, California area. Interesting geology in that area considering the lake is sandwiched between two rifts. (What a flashback to the days of Idi Amin)

Likes davenn

1. What caused the Tanzania quake?

The Tanzania quake was caused by a sudden release of energy along a fault line in the Earth's crust, resulting in seismic waves that caused the ground to shake.

2. How big was the Tanzania quake?

The Tanzania quake had a magnitude of 5.7 on the Richter scale, which measures the strength of earthquakes. This is considered a moderate earthquake and can cause significant damage in populated areas.

3. Where did the Tanzania quake occur?

The Tanzania quake occurred in the Kagera region, located in the northwestern part of Tanzania. This region is known for its seismic activity, with several small earthquakes occurring each year.

4. Were there any aftershocks from the Tanzania quake?

Yes, there were several aftershocks reported after the initial Tanzania quake. These are smaller earthquakes that occur in the same area as the main quake and can continue for days or weeks after the initial event.

5. What is being done to help those affected by the Tanzania quake?

The Tanzanian government and international organizations are providing aid and support to those affected by the quake. This includes medical assistance, shelter, and supplies for those who have lost their homes. Rescue efforts are also underway to search for any survivors trapped under collapsed buildings.