Answer: Number of Distributions of 5 Balls into 3 Boxes

• Thread starter Punkyc7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balls
In summary, to find the number of distributions of 5 distinct balls into 2 red boxes and one blue box, assuming the two red boxes are identical and no boxes are empty, one can use the formula 5!/(3!2!)+5!/(2!2!2!) = 25 and then multiplied by 2 to account for the different color boxes. However, if all the boxes are different and non-empty, the formula would be 3^5 = 243, and from this we would subtract the cases with empty boxes. This gives a total of 150 distributions. If the two red boxes are identical, this leads to an overcount factor of 2, resulting in a final answer of 75
Punkyc7
Find the number of distributions of 5 distinct balls into 2 red boxes and one blue box if the two red boxes are identical and no boxes are empty.

So First I assumed that the boxes were all identical and got

5!/(3!2!)+5!/(2!2!2!) =25

from there I multiplied 25 by 2 because there are 2 different color boxes which would give me 50. The solution in the book says it should be 75 but I'm not sure why that is.

Physics news on Phys.org
hey Punkyc7 can you explain your method a little more - how did you come to that formula?

I think this one may need a little care, maybe even to consider each case, of say B balls in blue box separately (gives 6 cases). It is a lot of cases but the formula for each should be related.

say B=0
then it becomes how to partition 5 distinct objects into 2 groups

say B=1
there are 5 choices for the ball to go into the blue box
then it becomes how to partition 4 distinct objects into 2 groups

say B=2
there are 5.4/2 choices for the 2 balls to go into the blue box
then it becomes how to partition 3 distinct objects into 2 groups

and so on, maybe not the most elegant method, but it should be understandable

My book doesn't really give you any formulas, its up to you to figure it out. Most of the questions don't come with answers so its hard to known if your right or wrong.

I was thinking I would consider that the boxers were identical and I would count the partitions. From there I was thinking since 2 of the boxes are the same and 1 is different there would be twice the amount of distributions if it were to go into identical boxes.

I was thinking if all the boxes were different there would be 75. The number of distributions times 3.

I was asking as I didn't understand what the formulas you posted in #1 represented?

Now as you mention in post #3, let's consider a case where all the boxes are different (distinct)

As the balls are distinct, let's number them 1,2,3,4,5. Then there is:
3 ways to choose the box for ball 1
3 ways to choose the box for ball 2
and so on..

so doesn't it reduce to 3^5 = 243 ways to distribute the balls in distinct boxes?

sorry I just read the no box empty so we need to subtract the cases with:
no balls in 2 boxes
no balls in 1 box

with post #5 on mind i have updated post #2 as below to account for the non-empty clause, which simplifies the problem

if we consider say B balls in a blue box separately, this gives 3 cases, as no box can be empty.

say B=1
there are 5 choices for the ball to go into the blue box
then it becomes how to partition 4 distinct objects into 2 groups with none empty

say B=2
there are 5.4/2 choices for the 2 balls to go into the blue box
then it becomes how to partition 3 distinct objects into 2 groups with none empty

say B=3
there are 5.4.3/(3.2) choices for the 3 balls to go into the blue box
then it becomes how to partition 2 distinct objects into 2 groups with none empty

now considering the case where the boxes are distinct and non-empty

there are 3^5 = 243 ways to distribute the balls into any box regardless of whether they are empty. So from this we will subtract the cases that have empty boxes

accounting for the cases which have no balls in 2 boxes, there are:
- 3 ways to choose the full box

accounting for the cases which have no balls in 1 box, there are:
- 3 ways to choose the empty box
- now how to partition 5 balls into 2 distinct boxes
- as the boxes are distinct there is a total of 2^5 = 32 ways to do it
- however 2 of those will give a second empty box which we have already counted
- so there is 30 ways to partition the balls

so for the distinct box case we have a total number of distributions of
243 - 3 - (3*30) = 243 - 93 = 150

now if we consider the case where 2 red boxes are identical, the will lead to an overcount factor of 2 giving:

...so we got there - the method in post #6 would give a good check as well

Last edited:
Thanks I think I understand it now

1. How many different ways can 5 balls be distributed into 3 boxes?

The number of distributions of 5 balls into 3 boxes is 10. This can be calculated using the formula for combinations, nCr = n! / (r! * (n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects (5 balls) and r is the number of objects in each group (3 boxes). In this case, it would be 5C3 = 5! / (3! * (5-3)!) = 10.

2. What is the probability of getting a specific distribution of 5 balls into 3 boxes?

The probability of getting a specific distribution of 5 balls into 3 boxes depends on the total number of possible distributions and the specific distribution you are interested in. To calculate the probability, you would divide the number of desired distributions by the total number of possible distributions.

3. Can the balls be distributed evenly into the boxes?

Yes, it is possible for the balls to be distributed evenly into the boxes. This would happen if each box contains the same number of balls (in this case, 2 balls per box). However, the majority of distributions will not result in an even distribution.

4. How does the number of boxes affect the number of possible distributions?

The number of boxes does not significantly affect the number of possible distributions. The formula for combinations is used to calculate the total number of distributions, which takes into account both the total number of objects and the number of objects in each group. So, as long as the total number of objects (5 balls) remains the same, the number of boxes will not have a major impact on the number of possible distributions.

5. Can the balls be distributed in a specific order?

It is possible for the balls to be distributed in a specific order, but this would depend on the specific distribution and the rules of the distribution. For example, if the distribution requires that the balls be placed in a specific order (such as from lightest to heaviest), then the balls must be distributed in that order. However, if the distribution does not have any specific rules, the balls can be distributed in any order as long as the total number of balls in each box remains the same.