Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

5 button mouse with firefox

1. Sep 21, 2005 #1
    2 questions.

First, can I program a 5 button mouse such that in firefox I can use the 4th and 5th buttons to switch between tabs?

Second, any recommendations for a good 5 button (non-wireless) mouse?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can do 6 things with a touchpad, I program what to do in the touchpad program; not firefox itself. I'd think it works the same for mouse buttons, so look under mouse configuration?
  4. Sep 21, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus

You need to bind page up/down to those buttons in your mouse settings.

I always thought the MS Intellimouse Explorer had good ergonomics
  5. Sep 21, 2005 #4
    So I can bind keys? For example, ctrl+tab to move forward in tabs? If so, cool, thanks.

I will check out that MS mouse. I have a MS wireless mouse and I like the feel, but the thing is wireless and heavy and the batteries have to be changed too often. Thanks
  6. Jun 16, 2007 #5
    dynex mouse

I just got a Dynex optical mouse w/ 5 buttons and a USB and P/S2 compatible plug, and I think they sell it at Best Buy, but I'm still looking for software to program the buttons. Wireless mice are such a hassle, they even require batteries.
  7. Jun 16, 2007 #6
    it's more of a mouse driver/software configuration than a browser configuration thing. All you need to do is use your mouse config software (Control Panel/Mouse) to bind each button to whatever key sequence you use for switching tabs.
  8. Jun 17, 2007 #7
    Extension SwiftTabs
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?