Can a 5 Button Mouse with Firefox Switch Tabs and What's the Best Option?

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Firefox
In summary, the conversation includes a question about programming a 5 button mouse for tab switching in Firefox and a recommendation for a good 5 button mouse. The response suggests using the touchpad program for programming mouse buttons and recommends checking the mouse configuration. The conversation then includes a question about binding keys for tab switching and a recommendation for the MS Intellimouse Explorer for its ergonomics. The conversation also mentions a Dynex mouse with 5 buttons and a USB/P/S2 plug, but the person is still looking for software to program the buttons. It is also mentioned that wireless mice can be a hassle and require frequent battery changes. In addition, the conversation suggests using mouse configuration software to bind buttons and mentions an extension called SwiftTabs
mattmns
2 questions.

First, can I program a 5 button mouse such that in firefox I can use the 4th and 5th buttons to switch between tabs?

Second, any recommendations for a good 5 button (non-wireless) mouse?

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I can do 6 things with a touchpad, I program what to do in the touchpad program; not firefox itself. I'd think it works the same for mouse buttons, so look under mouse configuration?

You need to bind page up/down to those buttons in your mouse settings.

I always thought the MS Intellimouse Explorer had good ergonomics

So I can bind keys? For example, ctrl+tab to move forward in tabs? If so, cool, thanks.

I will check out that MS mouse. I have a MS wireless mouse and I like the feel, but the thing is wireless and heavy and the batteries have to be changed too often. Thanks

dynex mouse

I just got a Dynex optical mouse w/ 5 buttons and a USB and P/S2 compatible plug, and I think they sell it at Best Buy, but I'm still looking for software to program the buttons. Wireless mice are such a hassle, they even require batteries.

it's more of a mouse driver/software configuration than a browser configuration thing. All you need to do is use your mouse config software (Control Panel/Mouse) to bind each button to whatever key sequence you use for switching tabs.

Extension SwiftTabs

1. What is a "5 button mouse"?

A 5 button mouse is a type of computer mouse that has 5 physical buttons that can be clicked, in addition to the standard left and right click buttons. These buttons can be programmed to perform different functions depending on the user's preference.

2. How is a 5 button mouse different from a regular mouse?

A regular mouse usually has 2 buttons (left and right click) while a 5 button mouse has 5 buttons, allowing for more control and customization options. The additional buttons can also improve productivity and efficiency for tasks that require multiple clicks.

3. How do I use a 5 button mouse with Firefox?

In order to use a 5 button mouse with Firefox, you can program the additional buttons to perform specific functions within the browser. This can be done through the mouse's software or through Firefox's settings. You can also use the additional buttons to navigate between tabs, go back or forward in your browsing history, or open new tabs.

4. Can I use a 5 button mouse with other browsers besides Firefox?

Yes, you can use a 5 button mouse with any browser that allows for customization of mouse settings. This includes popular browsers such as Google Chrome, Safari, and Microsoft Edge.

5. Are there any advantages to using a 5 button mouse with Firefox?

One advantage of using a 5 button mouse with Firefox is the ability to customize the additional buttons to perform specific functions within the browser. This can improve productivity and make browsing more efficient. Additionally, using a 5 button mouse can reduce strain on the hand and wrist compared to using a traditional mouse, as it allows for more varied hand movements.