1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

5 button mouse with firefox

1. Sep 21, 2005 #1
    2 questions.

First, can I program a 5 button mouse such that in firefox I can use the 4th and 5th buttons to switch between tabs?

Second, any recommendations for a good 5 button (non-wireless) mouse?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2005 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can do 6 things with a touchpad, I program what to do in the touchpad program; not firefox itself. I'd think it works the same for mouse buttons, so look under mouse configuration?

4. Sep 21, 2005 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

You need to bind page up/down to those buttons in your mouse settings.

I always thought the MS Intellimouse Explorer had good ergonomics

5. Sep 21, 2005 #4
    So I can bind keys? For example, ctrl+tab to move forward in tabs? If so, cool, thanks.

I will check out that MS mouse. I have a MS wireless mouse and I like the feel, but the thing is wireless and heavy and the batteries have to be changed too often. Thanks

6. Jun 16, 2007 #5
    dynex mouse

I just got a Dynex optical mouse w/ 5 buttons and a USB and P/S2 compatible plug, and I think they sell it at Best Buy, but I'm still looking for software to program the buttons. Wireless mice are such a hassle, they even require batteries.

7. Jun 16, 2007 #6
    it's more of a mouse driver/software configuration than a browser configuration thing. All you need to do is use your mouse config software (Control Panel/Mouse) to bind each button to whatever key sequence you use for switching tabs.

8. Jun 17, 2007 #7
    Extension SwiftTabs

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?