1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

5 Math Classes in One Semester too much?

1. Jun 17, 2005 #1
    Next semester I need to take Math history and Math for Secondary Teachers, which I think will be quite easy. But I am also looking into taking Advanced Calculus, Modern Algebra, and Mathematical Stats/Prob. As math electives and to get into the MS Pure Math program.

Descriptions:

-Advanced Calc: A rigorous development of the differential and integral calculus of functions of one real variable.
    -Modern Alg: Groups, rings, homomorphisms, premutation groups, quotient structure, ideal theory, fields.
    -Stats/Prob: An intoduction to probability including combinatorics, Bayes' theorem, probability densities, expectation, variance, and correlation. An Introduction to estimation, confidence intervals, and hypothesis testing.

Now I do not think this will be that bad, because I do not work and I have no life. Also I do not think Math History, Secondary Math, and Stats will be tough classes. So my question is that is there anyone who thinks that this is a bad idea?

If you are wondering why I would take all of these classes in one semester here is why: 4 of them are fall only! (stats is f/sp/su). And there is no way I can take them the following fall. Also, I can easily not take stats, but it fits my schedule perfectly. (If I did not take stats I would be taking either a science elective or a computer science elective).

Edit... I just found a "science" elective that fits the same time as Stats, so I think I will do it with the other 4 math classes :smile:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2005 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

in answer to the question posed in the title, that would be: "yes", at least for me, but maybe not for John von Neumann.

4. Jun 17, 2005 #3
    I think that is a recipe for disaster. i would not attempt it. but good luck to you

5. Jun 17, 2005 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is there an interesting anecdote about von Neumann taking many courses at once or something?

6. Jun 17, 2005 #5
    5 maths easy as pie =] unless your taking GR, QM, DiffGeom,PDEs,DynSys or Real Analy
    in which case your brain will be spinning but it'll be all good still. I wouldn't switch stats for cs...unless you excel in cs or are ready to switch mentallities between math and programming.

7. Jun 17, 2005 #6
    my easiest semester in university
    Theory of Computation, Combinatorics, COmputational Geometry, Automata and Language theory and Psych Project.

my hardest and funnest
    NeuroPsych, Computer Graphics, stellarphysics, Stats, Quantum.

what should have been my funnest
    Cosmology, AI,Mathphys,ODEs, Neuropsych II

but AI was worthless the way thte teacher taught it. I wouldn't even call it AI
    i'd just call it intro to knowledge systems. It was like teaching grade 10s with no programming...argh.

8. Jun 17, 2005 #7
    My "science" elective, that I think will be easier than Stats, is Geography 101: Physical Geography. Maps and things like that it seems. I should probably check out the syllabus first to make sure it is not going to be filled with a bunch of bs. However, I think either way it would still be easier than stats. Thanks for the responses.

9. Jun 17, 2005 #8
    don't take anything that is easy and will not be used for your future or you dont' have a interest and your just picking up an elective...its a waste of money unless your parents are payign...and you could gain more knowledge from one that is useless...like a logic course or computability

10. Jun 17, 2005 #9
    It is part of the core classes I have to take. I have already taken physics, but more physics will not count toward the general core science requirement. I have no real interest in chemistry, or biology, or any of the other sciences. I am basically looking to meet the requirement with the least amount of work as possible. I still have to take a computer science class, I am not replacing this science elective with a comp sci class, because I would not, and can not, do that :smile:

What I have left for my BS: 5 math classes (1 spring only), 2 low science electives, 1 computer sci class, 2 math electives (instead of 2 comp sci classes or combo), student teaching and education classes (will take up entire senior year). So I am a bit limited with what I can take that would count toward my degree.

11. Jun 17, 2005 #10
    Well I like to believe it depends on what kind of student you are and how much time you are willing to put in. I would read ahead before the semester starts so you are familiar with some of the material, this will make it easier for you. There are people who take this many math classes, but they are very smart and they put alot of time in. I am also taking 5 math courses next semester and I am reading my textbooks ahead of time so I don't feel overburdened when the time comes. I could take 4, but it would delay my graduation by one semester, and all I have left are math classes, so it's either sink or swim in my case. I choose to swim, you can do the same. Goodluck.

12. Jun 17, 2005 #11

How did you find real analysis?

13. Jun 17, 2005 #12
    depends on which one....the 2nd year one is too ez...but i didn't take it(helped some buddies outon it) ...the one with lesbegues theorems was hard for me cuz i didn't take the 2nd one(needed the proving methods used in there or the mindset of approaching closed/compact sets etc.) plus it was boring for me.

14. Jun 20, 2005 #13

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

actualy it was oppenheimer, who signed up for and aced they say 7 courses per semester at harvard, but i thought von neumann would suffice.

he was quoted as saying: " i raided the place, intellectually", which perhaps shows how egotistical he was, since the catalog lists 3,000 courses. :yuck:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?