5 Math Classes in One Semester too much?

In summary, John von Neumann is thinking about taking a lot of math classes next semester. He is considering taking Advanced Calculus, Modern Algebra, and Mathematical Stats/Prob. He is also considering taking Geography 101: Physical Geography. He thinks that either way, taking these classes will be easier than taking Stats. Thanks for reading!
mattmns
Next semester I need to take Math history and Math for Secondary Teachers, which I think will be quite easy. But I am also looking into taking Advanced Calculus, Modern Algebra, and Mathematical Stats/Prob. As math electives and to get into the MS Pure Math program.

Descriptions:

-Advanced Calc: A rigorous development of the differential and integral calculus of functions of one real variable.
-Modern Alg: Groups, rings, homomorphisms, premutation groups, quotient structure, ideal theory, fields.
-Stats/Prob: An intoduction to probability including combinatorics, Bayes' theorem, probability densities, expectation, variance, and correlation. An Introduction to estimation, confidence intervals, and hypothesis testing.

Now I do not think this will be that bad, because I do not work and I have no life. Also I do not think Math History, Secondary Math, and Stats will be tough classes. So my question is that is there anyone who thinks that this is a bad idea?

If you are wondering why I would take all of these classes in one semester here is why: 4 of them are fall only! (stats is f/sp/su). And there is no way I can take them the following fall. Also, I can easily not take stats, but it fits my schedule perfectly. (If I did not take stats I would be taking either a science elective or a computer science elective).

Edit... I just found a "science" elective that fits the same time as Stats, so I think I will do it with the other 4 math classes :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
in answer to the question posed in the title, that would be: "yes", at least for me, but maybe not for John von Neumann.

I think that is a recipe for disaster. i would not attempt it. but good luck to you

Is there an interesting anecdote about von Neumann taking many courses at once or something?

5 maths easy as pie =] unless your taking GR, QM, DiffGeom,PDEs,DynSys or Real Analy
in which case your brain will be spinning but it'll be all good still. I wouldn't switch stats for cs...unless you excel in cs or are ready to switch mentallities between math and programming.

my easiest semester in university
Theory of Computation, Combinatorics, COmputational Geometry, Automata and Langauge theory and Psych Project.

my hardest and funnest
NeuroPsych, Computer Graphics, stellarphysics, Stats, Quantum.

what should have been my funnest
Cosmology, AI,Mathphys,ODEs, Neuropsych II

but AI was worthless the way thte teacher taught it. I wouldn't even call it AI
i'd just call it intro to knowledge systems. It was like teaching grade 10s with no programming...argh.

My "science" elective, that I think will be easier than Stats, is Geography 101: Physical Geography. Maps and things like that it seems. I should probably check out the syllabus first to make sure it is not going to be filled with a bunch of bs. However, I think either way it would still be easier than stats. Thanks for the responses.

don't take anything that is easy and will not be used for your future or you dont' have a interest and your just picking up an elective...its a waste of money unless your parents are payign...and you could gain more knowledge from one that is useless...like a logic course or computability

It is part of the core classes I have to take. I have already taken physics, but more physics will not count toward the general core science requirement. I have no real interest in chemistry, or biology, or any of the other sciences. I am basically looking to meet the requirement with the least amount of work as possible. I still have to take a computer science class, I am not replacing this science elective with a comp sci class, because I would not, and can not, do that :smile:

What I have left for my BS: 5 math classes (1 spring only), 2 low science electives, 1 computer sci class, 2 math electives (instead of 2 comp sci classes or combo), student teaching and education classes (will take up entire senior year). So I am a bit limited with what I can take that would count toward my degree.

Well I like to believe it depends on what kind of student you are and how much time you are willing to put in. I would read ahead before the semester starts so you are familiar with some of the material, this will make it easier for you. There are people who take this many math classes, but they are very smart and they put a lot of time in. I am also taking 5 math courses next semester and I am reading my textbooks ahead of time so I don't feel overburdened when the time comes. I could take 4, but it would delay my graduation by one semester, and all I have left are math classes, so it's either sink or swim in my case. I choose to swim, you can do the same. Goodluck.

neurocomp2003 said:
5 maths easy as pie =] unless your taking GR, QM, DiffGeom,PDEs,DynSys or Real Analy
in which case your brain will be spinning but it'll be all good still. I wouldn't switch stats for cs...unless you excel in cs or are ready to switch mentallities between math and programming.

How did you find real analysis?

depends on which one...the 2nd year one is too ez...but i didn't take it(helped some buddies outon it) ...the one with lesbegues theorems was hard for me because i didn't take the 2nd one(needed the proving methods used in there or the mindset of approaching closed/compact sets etc.) plus it was boring for me.

actualy it was oppenheimer, who signed up for and aced they say 7 courses per semester at harvard, but i thought von neumann would suffice.

he was quoted as saying: " i raided the place, intellectually", which perhaps shows how egotistical he was, since the catalog lists 3,000 courses. :yuck:

1. Is it possible to take 5 math classes in one semester?

Yes, it is possible to take 5 math classes in one semester. However, it may require a significant amount of time and effort.

2. Will taking 5 math classes in one semester affect my GPA?

It depends on your ability to manage your time and workload effectively. If you are able to handle the coursework and maintain good grades, then it should not significantly impact your GPA. However, if you struggle to keep up with the workload, it could potentially lower your GPA.

3. How should I prepare for taking 5 math classes in one semester?

It is important to have a strong foundation in the prerequisite math courses and to have good time management skills. It may also be helpful to speak with an academic advisor to ensure that you are choosing the right courses and have a realistic understanding of the workload.

4. What are the benefits of taking 5 math classes in one semester?

Taking 5 math classes in one semester can allow you to complete your degree in a shorter amount of time, saving you time and money. It can also demonstrate to future employers or graduate schools your ability to handle a heavy workload and your strong math skills.

5. What are the potential challenges of taking 5 math classes in one semester?

Some potential challenges of taking 5 math classes in one semester include a heavy workload, time management difficulties, and potential burnout. It is important to carefully consider your abilities and the potential impact on your overall well-being before taking on such a demanding course load.