Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

5 Points on a Sphere

1. Feb 5, 2007 #1

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Say you have a sphere, and n points to place on it. You want each of the points to be equivalent to the others if you allow relabeling and the average distance between points should be as great as possible. Essentially the most spread out 'fair' distribution of points when no point is special compared to the others.

For example: when n = 4, the points would be the vertices of a tetrahedron. When n = 6, the points would be the centers of the faces of a cube. When n = 3 the points would be the vertices of a triangle.

My question is: with 5 points, the only possible layout I have found is the vertices a pentagon. Is there a better one?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2007 #2
    Have you considered the five vertices of a double tetrahedron?

4. Feb 6, 2007 #3

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think a double tetrahedron will work. The three points at the joining point have all the other points equidistant from them, but the two points away from it do not.

Code (Text):

/|\
    2-3-4
     \|/

1 is further away from 5 than any point is from 4, therefore no relabeling can make 1 equivalent to 4. However, this may not be true if we take arc length into account (which is what really matters in this case) or move 1 and 5 closer together... but I have no experience with this type of geometry.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  5. Feb 6, 2007 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Based on your rejection of the double tetrahedron, there is no arrangement of five points (or almost any value of N) other than planar that satisfies your criteria. The exceptions are the vertices of the convex regular polyhedra. There are only five convex regular polyhedra, aka the Platonic solids: the regular tetrahedron, hexahedron (cube), octahedron, dodecahedron, and icosahedron.

6. Feb 6, 2007 #5

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assumed this might happen. However, I do know there are at least two arrangements for every even number of points. Just make two parallel (n/2)-gons out of the points (the n=6 and n=8 solutions examples of this). This will have a higher average distance than the simple n-gon. There's also the trivial "all points at the same spot" solution, haha.

7. Feb 6, 2007 #6
    From what I know about molecular geometry, what you are looking for is a bipyramidal figure, where you basically have two superposed tetrahedron.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?