Solving Heat Capacity Problems with Specific Heat Equations

• Thread starter WMM
  • Start date
In summary, these conversations involve using specific heat capacity to calculate the amount of energy required to heat or cool a substance. In the first conversation, the specific heat of aluminum is calculated by cooling a 140.0 g block from 98.4° C to 62.2° C with the release of 1080 cal of heat. In the second conversation, the specific heat of lead is found by heating a 58.3 g sample from 12.0° C to 42.0° C with the absorption of 54.0 cal of heat. The third conversation involves calculating the energy needed to heat a 25.0 g block of rhenium from 25.0° C to 88.
WMM

Homework Statement

1. A block of aluminum weighing 140.0 g is cooled from 98.4° C to 62.2° C with the release of 1080 cal of heat. From these data, calculate the specific heat of aluminum.

2. A total of 54.0 cal of heat are absorbed as 58.3 g of lead is heated from 12.0° C to 42.0° C. From these data, what is the specific heat of lead?

3. A 25.0 g block of rhenium metal (specific heat = 0.0329 cal/ g° C) is heated from 25.0° C to 88.2° C. How much energy is required to heat the block of rhenium?

4. A sample of mercury metal is heated from 25.5° C to 52.5° C. It took 187 cal of heat to make this temperature change. What mass of mercury was in the sample? The specific heat of mercury is 0.033 cal/ g° C

5. The specific heat of ethanol is 2.46 J/g oC. Find the heat required to raise the temperature of 193 g of ethanol from 19oC to 35oC.

Homework Equations

None I don't believe.

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know what to star :(

Physics news on Phys.org
WMM said:

Homework Equations

None I don't believe.

Q=mcΔT will be useful.

Q = heat absorbed or released
m = mass
c = specific heat capacity
ΔT = temperature change

1. What is "5 Questions I don't Get" all about?

"5 Questions I don't Get" is a scientific approach to understanding common questions that people may have about various topics. It aims to provide clear and concise answers to these questions in order to increase knowledge and understanding.

2. Who can benefit from "5 Questions I don't Get"?

Anyone who is curious about the world around them and wants to learn more can benefit from "5 Questions I don't Get". It is especially useful for those who are interested in science and want to expand their knowledge on various topics.

3. How are the 5 questions chosen for each topic?

The 5 questions for each topic are chosen based on their frequency and relevance. These questions are often asked by people and show a gap in understanding or knowledge on the topic. The goal is to address these common questions and provide clear answers.

4. Is "5 Questions I don't Get" based on scientific research?

Yes, "5 Questions I don't Get" is based on scientific research and evidence. The answers provided are backed by reliable sources and experts in the field. The goal is to present accurate and up-to-date information to the readers.

5. Can I suggest a topic or question for "5 Questions I don't Get"?

Absolutely! "5 Questions I don't Get" is always looking for new and interesting topics to cover. You can suggest a topic or question by contacting the team through their website or social media channels. Your input is greatly appreciated!