Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

5-suit Texas Hold 'Em: ace high beats one pair

1. Sep 27, 2005 #1

This isn't really a brain teaser as much as a game.

I have a Five Crowns deck at home. This consists of a deck of 55 cards (well, two decks of cards) with five suits. 3 is lowest and King is highest. You can't do 3-King in a straight.

There are jokers, but I'm not using them -- they make the odds too intractable.

What do you think Texas Hold 'Em would be like with this deck? I can already tell you, Ace High beats One Pair. Imagine making a pair on the river and your hand deteriorates!

Here are the number of possible hands of a given type as I see them. The major change is the Ace High beating one pair.

ONE PAIR: 1,650,000
    ACE HIGH/ZERO PAIR: 1,425,425
    TWO PAIR: 247,500
    THREE OF A KIND: 123,750
    STRAIGHT: 21,840
    FULL HOUSE: 5,500
    FOUR OF A KIND: 2,750
    FLUSH: 2,130
    FIVE OF A KIND: 11

What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2005 #2
    What Ace high? There are no Aces in this deck.
    I assume you mean King high?

How about re-marking some of the cards in the extra deck (double deck)
    to get back the Aces and 2's for a full 13 ranks with the five suits.
    Sixty-five cards instead of 52 or 55.

It won't look like "Hold-em" without Ace's & 2's - not that having "Star" suit will look normal.
    But it may mean better chances of three of a kind, mak'n a boat etc. to give the play more action when only playing with thre or four people. Hold-em needs 7 or 8. That kind of action might be helpful while learning to buff & play the players etc. Compare the odds see what you think. Just be tuned into the odds change when going back to the real game.

Let us know how it plays - seems like it might help in learning.

2,A,K,Q,J doesn't make a straight in the real game either.

Also vs. a pair, it's harder to get Ace high or less in real 7 card game too, but it's still a lower (losing) hand.

Check your odds calculations, flush odds should still be back near the straight odds.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?