Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

50% of US believes in angels

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/sep/19/half-of-americans-believe-in-angels/

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oh, he's not prejudiced, is he? :tongue:

I wonder where these people were from, if it was people in Houston with such a large percentage of Hispanics and smack dab in the heart of Born again Christians, the study would be very skewed and not be representative of the US.

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Hold on a minute: whatever happened to "love thy neighbour"?

5. Sep 21, 2008 #4

Doc Al

That was never meant to apply to outsiders. :wink:

6. Sep 21, 2008 #5
    Considering ~70% of the US population adheres to the Christian faith, i'm not one bit surprised 50% believe in angels. Christianity is a big thing in the US, but it appears to be slowly fading...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States
    http://www.adherents.com/adh_dem.html

The shift away from Christianity and other organized religions:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_prac2.htm

7. Sep 21, 2008 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a secret handshake.

8. Sep 21, 2008 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The mythology of Angels
    http://www.logoschristian.org/thrones/

Here is one bit from the link that I thought everyone might find particularly amusing.

Question: Are there female Angels?

Answer: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." Carl Sagan.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  9. Sep 21, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They don't want to move in next to you, you might lower their property values. :biggrin:

I didn't read the whole thing, but when people say they believe in guardian angels, do they really mean in the religious sense of angels? I mean, some people will refer to other people as their guardian angel...someone who looks out for them and at some point saved them from some major catastrophe in life. They mean it figuratively, not literally.

Though, I'm inclined toward Evo's interpretation that the study didn't use a representative sample set here. 8% praying or speaking in tongues sounds INCREDIBLY high. I've made acquaintances with many people from many walks of life, and only ONE has ever claimed to have spoken in tongues. Even his other religious group members (they were in a Christian organization in college) who were even more extreme in their outward religious attitudes did not claim to have spoken in tongues...I know they hadn't experienced it because they expressed disappointment that they had never had the experience even though they wanted to. Of course, my friend who spoke in tongues is the only one who ever actually studied languages, including ancient Aramaic, in college, so perhaps it's not quite so surprising he would be the one prone to suddenly speaking in Aramaic during a prayer session.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  10. Sep 21, 2008 #9

OmCheeto

Gold Member

All this tells me is that 50% believe correctly, and the other half don't.

Beliefs are nothing.

Angels have a purpose amongst a lot of people on this planet. Many people need hope, and for some, ethereal beings in their heads are all that keep them sane.

One day, my mom's angels told her to drink poison to cure her illness.

Yes, they cured her. She was dead within 7 days. My father took the same poison several years later. Dead that day.

But what does this have to do with people believing in angels?

Little.

Tell Tsu I still have 3 pounds of 7 flavors of rapidly dehydrating varieties of fudge waiting for her.

:!!)

11. Sep 22, 2008 #10

Doc Al

That is pretty funny! :rolleyes:

12. Sep 22, 2008 #11
    If there are angels, then they are some lazy bastards..

13. Sep 22, 2008 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I deleted a couple of posts that were insults to people of faith. While it is understandable that some people find religious or faith based beliefs logically offensive, please refrain from making personal insults.

14. Sep 22, 2008 #13
    I really do think that such statistics are amongst the most worrying, and just plain scariest that there are.

15. Sep 22, 2008 #14

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

According to the SciFi channel poll didn't 50% of Americans believe that aliens abducted people? I wonder how big the overlap is ?

16. Sep 22, 2008 #15

turbo

Gold Member

Most rational people believe in some sort of causality. There are people who need to assign some sort of cause and effect to every single action, no matter how random, trivial, or important. This leads people to believe in things that they don't understand (thanks, Stevie Wonder) so they can make sense of a world that often does not make sense.

I have a couple of very religious cousins who most certainly believe in angels and in a "meddling" diety. Whenever something happens to someone, no matter how good or bad, they manage to couch it in the terms of their faith, and it's standard for them to say "it was God's will" or "God wanted that child with him" when a child dies from cancer or "her angel was guarding her" when a lady is in a crash that should have been fatal, but it only maimed her instead. Both of these guys are very right-wing, politically, and though they are uncomfortable with McCain, they will be voting for him because of Palin.

17. Sep 22, 2008 #16

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Except those in https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

I believe that as well, but in my case the angel was a guy at Subaru who designs anti-lock brakes and fortunately he DOES exist.

18. Sep 22, 2008 #17

turbo

Gold Member

OK, we believe in causality at some level. At some point (going down to the very small), we have to allow that non-determinancy (uncertainty) must be reckoned with. Certainly, though, if I turn toes-up it is probable that a doctor will have some reasonable causative explanation. If a cosmic ray flips or destroys a piece of my DNA and I end up with a rare cancer, maybe we have gotten into an area of quantum uncertainty that could have ended my life.

19. Sep 22, 2008 #18
    turbo-1:"most rational people believe in some form of casuality"

Casuality is fine, but I am fairly certain that believing a cause can include "angels" based on absolutely no evidence other than "well... It'd be nice if there were!" is, by definition, irrational in itself!

-Spoon

20. Sep 22, 2008 #19
    Sorry quote was sort not form ;)

21. Sep 22, 2008 #20

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Reminds me of another poll I read about, might have been 10 to 12 years ago, that more than half of Americans polled did not believe in evolution.

(I forget the exact percentage, just remember that it was > 50%)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?