How much does it cost to go skydiving and how often do people go?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sky
In summary, 500 jumps is a lot. It is a lot in a mere 3 years, and it is a lot even for someone who just does it as a hobby.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Is 500 jumps a lot? I couldn't find any numbers online. Is 500 a lot in a mere 3 years? For someone who just does it as a hobby? She claims she did this in her teens, in the 70's.

A friend of a friend has tossed this number off casually and I'm having a tough time believing it.

Physics news on Phys.org

That does seem like a lot, even for military people. You have to think, how often would that correspond to? 500/52 weeks is roughly equal to 10 jumps per week.

From what I could find online (I really want to go skydiving), it's pretty expensive and takes a while to do. It's not like a roller coaster where you go back in line and 5 minutes later you are on the ride again. So 10 jumps a week is really a lot. I call BS. In fact, I think 1 jump a week is already a lot.

My father's buddy had jumped more than 700 times when was young. Probably in a span of five years, I'm not sure. He basically lived in a small town located very close to a small airport. So an access to a plane was a ten minute walk. He had a lot freinds there so weekend jumps were common. Then later he got married and had to spot jumping for obvious reasons :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
Is 500 jumps a lot? I couldn't find any numbers online. Is 500 a lot in a mere 3 years? For someone who just does it as a hobby? She claims she did this in her teens, in the 70's.

A friend of a friend has tossed this number off casually and I'm having a tough time believing it.

Here's an apparently dated link that touches on cost.
http://www.adventureliving.com/home/skydiving/learning/cost/index.html

In the 70's it would certainly have been a lot cheaper than now.

The adrenaline rush is addictive to some people. It looks like someone could go up 10 times a day if they were so inclined.

So ... discounting figures of speech even ... it's certainly not impossible.

Never knew anyone with 500 jumps...not even on tv or the internets (or maybe I did but I just do not remember). Its not impossible as LowlyPion said...3 years is small but its possible...

Jay Stokes holds the record for most parachute descents in a single day at 640
Don Kellner holds the record for the most parachute jumps, with a total of over 36,000 jumps.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachuting

I realize that these are world records, but 500 really isn't that outrageous.

WarPhalange said:
That does seem like a lot, even for military people. You have to think, how often would that correspond to? 500/52 weeks is roughly equal to 10 jumps per week.

From what I could find online (I really want to go skydiving), it's pretty expensive and takes a while to do. It's not like a roller coaster where you go back in line and 5 minutes later you are on the ride again. So 10 jumps a week is really a lot. I call BS. In fact, I think 1 jump a week is already a lot.

I went skydiving once, tandum. There seriously were people there that jumped and then got back in line to do it again, and again, and again. I was only there for about five hours from the time they opened (long wait for someone who could tandum jump with me being 6'2" and 200+ lbs) and most of the enthusiasts had already jumped four or five times, they were making a day of it. Part of the cost of the jump is for 'rental' of the chute and gear. If you jump on your own you also have to take classes, which means more money. From what I could tell if you own your own gear and chute and are fully certified it is a lot less expensive. If you know the pilots and/or have some sort of membership I bet it is even less.

I learned to dive at the Pepperell Jump School. So, I can tell you exactly how much it cost there as of October of 1995 (check out their site for current prices). However, prices will vary from DZ to DZ. One fortunate thing is that once you know how to dive, the prices drop dramatically. For example, at Pepperell, I was charged (once I graduated the AFF course) $5 + $1 for every thousand feet. So, if I jumped from 13,500 feet it cost me $18.50. You should also check out the Internet World DZ Price List which will tell you how much a dive costs an experienced diver. That is the definitive list of drop zones. It lists prices which do not include training or equipment. Most DZs will allow you to rent equipment for a small price. For rental equipment, Pepperell charged $5 per jump plus a $5 repacking fee (as of Oct 95).
http://www.adventureliving.com/home/skydiving/learning/cost/index.html

What is a sky dive jump?

A sky dive jump is a recreational or competitive activity in which a person jumps from an aircraft and free falls through the air before deploying a parachute to slow their descent and land safely on the ground.

How many jumps are required for a sky diving license?

The number of jumps required for a sky diving license varies depending on the country and organization. In the United States, the minimum is typically 25 jumps, but it can be as high as 50 jumps in other countries.

How long does it take to complete 500 sky dive jumps?

The time it takes to complete 500 sky dive jumps varies depending on the individual's frequency of jumps. For a recreational skydiver, it may take a few years to complete 500 jumps, while a professional skydiver could complete 500 jumps in a matter of months.

What safety precautions are taken during a sky dive jump?

Sky dive jumps are subject to strict safety regulations and protocols. Before a jump, the equipment is thoroughly checked and tested, and the jumper undergoes extensive training. During the jump, there are also safety measures in place, such as a reserve parachute and a backup parachute system.

What are the potential risks of sky diving?

As with any extreme sport, sky diving carries some risks. However, with proper training, equipment, and safety protocols, the risks can be minimized. Some potential risks include equipment malfunctions, weather conditions, and human error.