Witness 5000 Paper Lanterns Light Up Beach in Bang Niang

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, a beautiful and emotional ceremony took place in Bang Niang where 5,000 paper lanterns were released in memory of the victims of a tragic event. This event brought a sense of closure for many and offered hope for the future. However, in a related story, 5000 forest fires were reported in the neighboring country of Burma, prompting some humor and tasteless jokes.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
_41159450_nianglanterns-getty203.jpg

As the evening ceremony in Bang Niang drew to a close, 5,000 paper lanterns were released, lighting up the beach as the mourners stood and watched.

It was an emotional moment, with many bereaved relatives hugging each other as they watched the lights slowly disappear into the sky - each with the name of a victim written on the side.

"The lanterns were fabulous, really magical," said Allison Arlotte, walking along the seafront.

"I think this ceremony has drawn a dotted line for us - we can start looking to the future," she said.[continued]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4561414.stm

Physics news on Phys.org
That must of been breath taking, what a beautiful way to remember those who are loved and missed.

I saw that picture and I had the same impression expressed by hypatia - 'breathtaking' and 'how appropriate for remembering lost love ones'.

I was trying to find a better picture or video. What a beautiful tradition.

NY Times had a really nice one.

I posted it at E-S.
http://www.everything-science.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,82/topic,6628.msg58589#msg58589

In a related story, 5000 forest fires were reported in the neighboring country of Burma today.

Ivan Seeking said:
In a related story, 5000 forest fires were reported in the neighboring country of Burma today.
http://www.devotedfansnetwork.com/forums/images/smilies/groan.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
http://www.devotedfansnetwork.com/forums/images/smilies/groan.gif
[/URL]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey, that wasn't so bad... :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:
damn, I wanted to be the first one with the tasteless jokes.

I was thinking more along the line of putting out the fires with a bunch of water, a tidal wave maybe.

1. What is the purpose of lighting up 5000 paper lanterns on the beach in Bang Niang?

The lighting of 5000 paper lanterns is part of a traditional Thai festival called Loi Krathong. This festival is meant to pay respects to the water spirits and bring good luck for the upcoming year.

2. How is the event of lighting 5000 paper lanterns on the beach organized?

The event is typically organized by the local community or government. People can buy paper lanterns or bring their own to the beach. The lanterns are then lit and released into the sky simultaneously to create a beautiful display.

3. Is it safe to release 5000 paper lanterns into the sky?

The safety of this event depends on the precautions taken by the organizers. It is important to make sure the lanterns are not released near any power lines or buildings. Additionally, biodegradable lanterns should be used to minimize any potential environmental impacts.

4. What is the significance of lighting paper lanterns on the beach in Bang Niang?

In addition to paying respects to the water spirits, lighting paper lanterns is also believed to symbolize letting go of negative thoughts and starting anew. The lanterns are also thought to carry away any bad luck or misfortunes, bringing happiness and prosperity to the new year.

5. How long has the tradition of lighting paper lanterns on the beach in Bang Niang been around?

The tradition of lighting paper lanterns during Loi Krathong has been around for hundreds of years in Thailand. However, the specific event of lighting 5000 paper lanterns on the beach in Bang Niang may have been a more recent tradition, possibly started in the early 2000s.

Back