1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

5000 Thousand Astrophysicists

1. Aug 31, 2012 #1
    I heard there are about 5000 real Astrophysicists in the USA or the world.. Is this true? And if so, why is the number so low? I'm in my second year of AP major.. With such a low number of actual Astrophysicists out there, should I change my major? Chemistry would be my 2nd choice.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Define "real".

Sounds like a "no real Scotsman" fallacy to me.

4. Aug 31, 2012 #3
    Dr. in Astrophysics and are doing research for some scientific organization.

5. Aug 31, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Dr of Science or PhD?

I imagine there are not that many jobs with that description ... may be ballpark if you restrict the estimate to one country.

6. Aug 31, 2012 #5
    Waiting for the next person who clicked on this link picturing 5 million astrophysicists.

7. Aug 31, 2012 #6
    I was thinking the same thing as meanrev.

8. Aug 31, 2012 #7
    Dr. In Astrophysicists, but can I have a straight forward opinion.
    I'm Majoring in astrophysics and this is what I want to do with my life, but i'm only 20 and i'm assuming some of you guys are a lot older than me.. Is it difficult to get a job as an astrophysicist, or should I change my major? If the statistics are low on jobs in this industry I will change my major, help??

9. Aug 31, 2012 #8
    As an order of magnitude that sounds about right

http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/emptrends.html

Look at the bottom for the number for the FTE's.

Same reasons why there are so few professional football players.

It depends on what you want to do with your life. Personally, I got my doctorate in astrophysics, then went out and worked in industry, and things turned out very, very well for me, and there are a ton of astrophysicists on Wall Street. Other people have had different experiences.

One thing that I like is that because there are few jobs directly involved in astrophysics, I had to get creative with figuring out what to do with my degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook