(51/36)x180=255 AND 1.25x180=255 ? help please

• Thread starter brandy
  • Start date
In summary: Well I find most of my errors in maths tend to be in the most fundamental aspects of it. Like say in the equation a=2+b I will rearrange it to \frac{a}{b}=2 and silly things like that. I guess the moral of the story is to check over your work!
brandy
[SOLVED] (51/36)x180=255 AND 1.25x180=255 ? help please

i was just working out some simple calculations and came across this anomaly . 51/36 (equalls 1.416666...) multiplied by 180=255. but 1.25 multiplied by 180 also equals 255 (note that its not 1.416666...and when multiplied by 180 it still equals 255) can someone exlpain this to someone of Inferior intelligence. how can 255=180x1.25 AND 180x51/36!

Physics news on Phys.org
180*1.25=225

? *raises eyebrow* that doesn't answer my question...

(51/36)*180=255 AND 1.25*180=255. is that better?

brandy said:
? *raises eyebrow* that doesn't answer my question...

(51/36)*180=255 AND 1.25*180=255. is that better?

Read my post again... it does answer your question.

Look a bit more carefully!

Do the calculation again.

eek. i don't understand. sure 1.25*180=255. but so does 51/36*180. what are you trying to get at? 51/36 does not equal 1.25.

Do the calculation again, and pay great attention to the numbers that come up on the screen. 1.25 x 180 is not 255.

180*1.25=225

51/36*180=255

[tex]225 \neq 255[/tex]

Do you understand now?

eeek. am so stuipid. goodby selfesteem. geez. sorry to waste ur time :s

Brandy don't worry about it, I had to do the calculation twice! I thought you were onto something massive there haha!

I've found that, even when doing the most complicated and frustrating calculations, more often than not the mistake is in the first line. For example, a few months ago I was doing this one calculation that, after spending ages on looking through my pages and pages of algebra, just wouldn't work. I then looked at it one day and said to myself "hey, there should be a minus sign in that definition." Anyway, the point of my boring story is that it is quite easy to overlook the foundations of one's argument, and think there is something wrong elsewhere when it is often the bare foundations that are wrong.

You don't have to apologise for "wasting people's time"; hey, at least you've learned this the easy way :wink:

cristo said:
I've found that, even when doing the most complicated and frustrating calculations, more often than not the mistake is in the first line. For example, a few months ago I was doing this one calculation that, after spending ages on looking through my pages and pages of algebra, just wouldn't work. I then looked at it one day and said to myself "hey, there should be a minus sign in that definition." Anyway, the point of my boring story is that it is quite easy to overlook the foundations of one's argument, and think there is something wrong elsewhere when it is often the bare foundations that are wrong.

You don't have to apologise for "wasting people's time"; hey, at least you've learned this the easy way :wink:

Well I find most of my errors in maths tend to be in the most fundamental aspects of it. Like say in the equation [itex]a=2+b[/itex] I will rearrange it to [itex]\frac{a}{b}=2[/itex] and silly things like that. I guess the moral of the story is to check over your work! If Cristo's story was boring I would hate to know what people think of mine! :blushing:

What is the equation being solved?

The equation being solved is (51/36)x180=255 AND 1.25x180=255. This is a mathematical equation that is being used to find the value of x.

What is the purpose of solving this equation?

The purpose of solving this equation is to find the value of x, which is the unknown variable in the equation. This can help in understanding the relationship between the given numbers and the solution.

What is the order of operations used to solve this equation?

The order of operations used to solve this equation is PEMDAS, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). This is the standard order of operations used in mathematics.

How is the equation (51/36)x180=255 AND 1.25x180=255 solved?

The equation is solved by first simplifying the expression within the parentheses, then performing the multiplication and division operations from left to right, and finally solving for x by subtracting and adding values on both sides of the equation.

What is the importance of using proper order of operations in solving this equation?

The proper order of operations is important in solving this equation because it ensures that the solution is accurate and consistent. Following the correct order of operations avoids any errors or confusion, and allows for a clear and efficient method of solving equations.