Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

555 Astable Circuit question

1. Feb 7, 2007 #1

I have a question about an astable oscillator made with a 555 timer IC. According to a National Instruments website, the off-duty cycle for an astable oscillator is Rb / (Ra + 2Rb) and the frequency is 1/(0.7*(Ra + 2Rb)*C), where Ra is the resistor in between pin 7 and the power source, and Rb is the resistor in between pins 7 and 2/6, and C is the capacitor in between pins 2/6 and ground. I believe this is a standard setup for an astable oscillator. However, I've noticed that oftentimes Rb >> Ra, so my question is, is there a reason for this? Because if Rb >> Ra and you calculate the duty cycle and frequency of your circuit, the influence of Ra in these cases is often negligible.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2007 #2
    Most applications want a 1:1 dutycycle. If you set Rb >> Ra then you can approximate frequency to 1/(sqrt(2)*Rb*C) and ignore the duty cycle as it will approximate to 1:1...
    Unless your application needs really accurate frequency and 1:1 duty cycle making Rb>>Ra is a good working simplification.
  4. Feb 7, 2007 #3
    I see... thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?