Build a 555 DC AC Inverter for a 72W TV & 12V Car Battery

In summary, the conversation discusses using a 12V car battery as backup power for a 72W television during power cuts for the 2006 soccer world cup. The speaker found an inverter online and has questions about its power rating, efficiency, and if a simpler and cheaper alternative exists. They also mention using an old UPS and car battery as a DIY inverter. The speaker is not interested in buying a store-bought inverter and is seeking suggestions for a DIY option.
burnhard gandah
How are you EEs. I would like to use my 12V car battery as backup power for a 72W television so that I can watch every minute of 2006 soccer world cup action (in case of Electricity company power cuts).

After some searches I found this inverter http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/555dcac.html

I intend to build this or another simpler and cheaper inverter
But I have the following questions
1)What is the power rating of this inverter, is it suitable for my TV.
2)What is its efficiency is it possible to run a 12V battery through this inverter for more than 120 minutes (in case the match goes into extra time)

If there is a simpler, cheaper alternative circuit can you give suggestions please.

NB: Do not suggest that I buy one from shops

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It is not worth your time and money to make your own inverter. 75W inverters that plug into your cigarette lighter socket cost only a few dollars.

Likes CWatters
I see this is old, but if you are interested in DIY inverters, I took an old Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) and hooked it to a car battery. First I took some needle-nose pliers, and pulled the piezzo buzzer cap off so it wouldn't have the annoying beep, because it thinks the power is out.
To figure out how long a setup will last, figure how many amps you will draw at 12 volts, then find the amp-hour rating of your battery

1. How does a 555 DC AC inverter work?

A 555 DC AC inverter uses a 555 timer integrated circuit to convert direct current (DC) from a battery into alternating current (AC) which can power electronic devices. The 555 timer creates a square wave signal that is then amplified and converted into AC power.

2. What materials are needed to build a 555 DC AC inverter for a 72W TV & 12V car battery?

The materials needed include a 555 timer integrated circuit, a power transistor, resistors, capacitors, a transformer, a diode, and a heat sink. You will also need a soldering iron, solder, and wires. A detailed list of materials and their specifications can be found in online tutorials or instructional books on building a 555 DC AC inverter.

3. Can a 555 DC AC inverter power other electronic devices besides a TV?

Yes, a 555 DC AC inverter can power a variety of small electronic devices as long as the total power consumption does not exceed the capabilities of the inverter. It is important to determine the total power consumption of the devices before connecting them to the inverter to avoid overloading it.

4. How long can a 555 DC AC inverter power a TV using a 12V car battery?

The duration of power depends on the capacity of the battery and the power consumption of the TV. A 72W TV would consume 72 watts per hour, so a fully charged 12V car battery with a capacity of 100Ah (ampere-hour) would theoretically be able to power the TV for approximately 8 hours (100Ah/72 watts = 1.38 hours or 83 minutes). However, factors such as efficiency of the inverter and battery discharge rate can affect the actual duration of power.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when building and using a 555 DC AC inverter?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when building and using a 555 DC AC inverter. This includes wearing protective gear such as safety glasses and gloves, working in a well-ventilated area, and following the instructions carefully. It is also important to properly insulate and secure all components to avoid electrical shock or short circuits. Additionally, always disconnect the inverter from the battery when not in use to avoid draining the battery and potentially causing damage.