Help with 555 Timer Chip & 38 kHz IR Light

In summary, John is using a 555 timer chip to send out 38 kHz IR light, but his IR receiver is only able to pick up the first 14 pulses before ignoring the rest. He is looking for a way to send out bursts of 38 kHz IR light with about 14 waves per burst. Suggestions include using another 555 oscillator to control the enable or reset of the timer chip, or using a counter set to divide by 32. The use of NAND gates is also suggested, with a diagram provided for understanding their behavior. John plans on ordering a quad 2 input NAND gate chip to help with his project.
jbord39
Hey all.

I am using a 555 timer chip to power an IR LED, which switches something on or off. My question is, now my timer chip is sending out 38 kHz IR light. My IR receiver is made to pick up 38 kHz IR light, but only the first 14 (I think) pulses, then ignores all pulses without a pause. Is there any way I could have my TL555 timer chip send out 38 kHz bursts of about 14 waves? Or are there any other ways around this (possibly on the receiving end.)

Thanks,

John

edit: Possibly using just another 555 oscillator at some frequency going to the enable(would that be the reset?) of the other 555 timer chip?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
jbord39 said:
edit: Possibly using just another 555 oscillator at some frequency going to the enable(would that be the reset?) of the other 555 timer chip?

Yes, that's probably the easiest way. There are other ways too, for instance using a counter that counts to 14.

And a 556 will give you both timers in the same IC.

It is probably better to let the 555 oscillate all the time and switch the output with NAND gates.
If you turn a 555 or any oscillator on, it will take a few cycles to stabilize.

Here are a couple of ways of turning a NAND gate on and off to give bursts of output signal.
38 kHz interrupt.PNG

The first uses a free running oscillator which would give you good flexibility with pulse rate. It should oscillate at about 1 KHz. Any other square wave oscillator (including another 555 ) could be used. I just used some spare gates.

The second uses a counter set to divide by 32. So, the first 16 pulses would produce no output but the next 16 pulses would produce 16 pulses of output from the top NAND gates. So, you would get an exact output which would require no adjusting.

The 74C00 and other chips have 4 NAND gates in one IC. They are very cheap.

Thanks. I have so far never used any IC except the 555 timers. I know that a NAND gate sends a high output only if both inputs have different logics.

Also, if the original 555 oscillator is oscillating only at 1kHz, then I don't think the IR receiver would pick it up. My 555 is already oscillating at a steady 38 kHz (I also tried using a 556-- it worked alright but range was reduced significantly and the pulses didn't have time to stabilize).

I am a little confused with the 74C00. What is it actually doing?

Thanks again,

John

A NAND gate works like this:

Both inputs low ...Output high.
Either input low ...Output high
Both inputs high ...Output low.

So if you have 38 KHz pulses getting to one input, they will cause the output to go high and low at a 38 KHz rate only if the other input is high.

The "other" input acts as a control pin and either let's the 38 KHz pulses through or not. This is because, if it is low, it doesn't matter what the other pin is, there is one input low so the output stays high.

If it is "high", the other input will make the output go low if it is high, but remain high if it is low. Try drawing it on a bit of paper, or I will send a diagram of it if you like.

Anyway, the output of the gate will be inverted. (highs will be low and lows will be high). So, the output of the first NAND gate would be high when it is not switching, so I added the second gate to turn the light off.

Notice that the switching rate is still 38 KHz but it is being turned on and off at a 1 KHz rate.

Thanks. I got this chip (would it work for the four NAND gates) : LM339 Quad OP Comparator.
(They did not have the one your recommended at Radioshack).

I am trying to draw it out but my Digital Logic is pretty bad (I had to push the class back a semester so it is behind everything else).

Any help is appreciated,

John

(Again, you guys rock).

NO, that comparator chip is something different. A good chip, but not what you need in this case.

Try a different store or ask for a 4011 or look in their catalog for a quad 2 input NAND gate chip.

Alternative types like 74HC00 74HCT00 74F00 74AC00 would also be OK.

I checked Radio Shack, but they don't sell ANY digital IC's.

Futurlec have 74HC00's for 25 cents each. I'd get 10.

This is a summary of NAND gate behaviour:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/NAND%20gate.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help. I'll look into ordering those tonight.

What is a 555 Timer Chip?

A 555 Timer Chip is an integrated circuit that is commonly used in electronic devices to generate precise timing signals. It can be configured in various ways to produce different types of signals, such as square waves, pulse width modulation, and astable multivibrator.

How does a 555 Timer Chip work?

A 555 Timer Chip works by using internal comparators, resistors, and capacitors to create a stable oscillation. The output of the chip can be controlled by adjusting the values of these components, allowing for a wide range of timing functions.

What is the purpose of using a 38 kHz IR light with a 555 Timer Chip?

A 38 kHz IR light is often used with a 555 Timer Chip to create an infrared remote control. The chip can be configured to generate a 38 kHz signal, which is then used to modulate the IR light. This allows the remote control to transmit signals to devices such as TVs and DVD players.

Can I adjust the frequency of the 555 Timer Chip?

Yes, the frequency of a 555 Timer Chip can be adjusted by changing the values of the resistors and capacitors in its circuit. This can be done manually or through a microcontroller, allowing for precise control over the timing signals.

Are there any common issues when using a 555 Timer Chip with a 38 kHz IR light?

One common issue when using a 555 Timer Chip with a 38 kHz IR light is interference from other sources. This can disrupt the transmission of signals and affect the overall performance of the device. It is important to properly shield the circuit and use appropriate filters to minimize interference.