Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

555 Timer

1. Aug 16, 2007 #1
    Help!!!

I need to make an adjustable timer circuit with 7-Segment Display Readout for a science project.

Please help..

I don't also want to spend a lot of money on this, so please tell the parts and circuit diagram I need.

Thanks in advance.

-Circuit Man

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry if this appears twice - I had replied but it dissapeared

You need a couple of other chips as well as the timer, a BCD counter (7490) and an LED driver IC (7447)
    There should be lots of 555 timer examples on google or in the library.

4. Aug 17, 2007 #3
    Thanks,

I was looking at the Omron H5cx digital timer, and wanted to make something like that with out having to buy the whole thing.

5. Aug 17, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How long do you want to time and how accurately.
    A 555 is great for timing a few seconds to minutes but if you need to accurately time hours or days the temperature tolerances on something like a 555 will be a problem. It would be better to use a dedicated timing chip and a micro.

ps Here is a good example page for the 555
    http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/555/555.html

6. Aug 17, 2007 #5
    Thanks,

I need very accurate timing for tenths to 100ths, 1000ths, or maybe even 10000ths of a second.

7. Aug 17, 2007 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would find an off the shelf timing chip, either a frequency counter or time-digital-converter.
    The long term stability is the more difficult thing to acheive, it is very easy to time 0.1ms intervals upto 1sec but if you needed to time something lasting hours you have to consider the temperature stability of the components. An off the shelf timing chip will have temperature corrections built-in, a 555 timer would depend on the behaviour of all the external components.

Look for a book called "The art of electronics" in your library it is a very good introduction to this sort of electronics.

8. Aug 17, 2007 #7
    Thanks again,

but, what off the shelf product would be the best?

9. Aug 23, 2007 #8
    I think crystal oscillators are typically used when you need something more accurate than a 555 timer.

10. Aug 29, 2007 #9
    How do you use those?

11. Sep 3, 2007 #10
    You can get crystal oscillators of different frequencies. Choose the one which you want and it will be the external clock to your circuit.

12. Oct 12, 2007 #11
    Could I also do it with some transistors, capacitors, resistors, and leds. Just for blinking

Thanks,
    Circuit Man

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?