1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

589.3nm +/- 0.3nm Absorption Lasing Medium?

1. Jul 21, 2013 #1
    Does anyone know of a lasing medium (perferably something that can be doped into an optical fiber, but a liquid or gas would work if not) that has a strong absorption at 589.0nm and 589.6nm?

Rationale: I'm trying to build a relatively cheap high powered (~300W-400W CW) LASER for DMLS, but diode-pumped Nd:Yag run about $10k for that price and fiber-coupled pump diodes are about $300/8W. Doped fiber is about $25 - $150 per meter and low-pressure Sodium-vapor lamps are both realtively cheap and highly efficient so I'd like to just mill an Aluminium optical cavity, have it Silver-plated with the doped fiber wound around the interior and a Sodium-vapor lamp inside (probably with water-cooling along the outside walls of the optical cavity) and a Bragg grating spliced onto one end of the fiber. Output wavelength isn't too big of a concern, but I'd like to keep it under 1.5um if possible.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted