Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

5D rubix cube

1. Jun 4, 2006 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2006 #2
    I can't even read it. The stupid part is that they're trying to embed the visulaization into 3D, then project it onto a 2D screen. :confused: What we need is a 5D screen, perhaps wired directly to the visual cortex (I think that's what it's called).

4. Jun 4, 2006 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Are you out of your ****ing mind?! I can't even do the original. :grumpy:

5. Jun 4, 2006 #4
    It did say only 3 people solved it.

6. Jun 4, 2006 #5
    You've never solved the original rubik's cube?!?! You better get to work.:approve:

7. Jun 4, 2006 #6

rcgldr

Homework Helper

and I though Rubiks revenge (4x4x4) or the professor's cube (5x5x5) were tought enough.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  8. Jun 5, 2006 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I've got a damned book that shows me how, and it still takes 15 minutes. :grumpy: :grumpy:

9. Jun 5, 2006 #8
    lol, i've tried following web instructions to solving it....get about halfway done and screw/give up due to it being too hard!

10. Jun 6, 2006 #9
    Can you believe it, on the web there was someone who solved a
    20*20*20 (with video proof)!!!!!!!!

11. Jun 6, 2006 #10

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Link to the page with the video:

http://www.speedcubing.com/chris

Very time consuming. Actually once you can do a 3x3x3 and a 4x4x4, there are no more moves to learn to solve rubik cubes, although there are some optional optimizations. The only "new" squares on the 5x5x5 are the just off center squares that are vertical and horizontal to the center square, but you can use the same moves on these as the center squares on the 4x4x4, which are the just off center corner squares on the 5x5x5. After this, there are no more "new squares", everything is pretty much independent of each other so it's like solving 3x3x3 and 4x4x4 squares in parallel.

There are a few programs out there now that let you work with virtual n x n x n cubes. I got one years ago call wrubik for Windows 3.1. The newer programs can solve as well as let you try out various sized virtual cubes.

There was a short period of time when they re-started making new 3x3x3 Rubik's cubes, so there's a few of these still around, but you'll have to good search to find a 4x4x4 Rubik's revenge, and I don't know if there are any 5x5x5 Professor's Cubes left. The 5x5x5 cubes were awkward to turn and the orange stickers kept coming off (I re-glued them with better glue to fix this). Usually the places that sell the larger cubes are asking people for broken ones to create fixed ones from (the center squares on the 4x4x4 broke easily).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  12. May 10, 2010 #11
    Yeah... I messed with the 4d cube before, and I was able to solve it as long as I only turned it with the center pieces. I solved the 2x2 3x3 4x4 and 5x5 all faster then anyone in my school... and yet this cube... holy ****.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?