5th Combinatorial question

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
In summary, the probability that a player's 6 chosen numbers will contain at least a Division 3 prize in the game of Tattslotto is 1135/8145060. This is found by adding the total number of combinations for Division 1, 2, and 3 prizes and dividing it by the total number of possibilities.
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

To win Division 1 in the game of Tattslotto, the player must have the same 6 numbers (in any order) as those that are randomly drawn from the numbers 1 to 45. A Division 2 prize requires that the player’s ticket must have 5 of the 6 winning numbers and a Division 3 prize requires that the player has 4 of the 6 numbers drawn. Calculate the probability that the player’s 6 numbers will contain at least a Division 3 prize.

Homework Equations

Pr(event) = Favourable possibilities/total possibilities

C means ‘choose’ i.e. nCr=n!/(r!(n-r)!)

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume player has chosen their 6 numbers and the officials have drawn the 6 numbers.

Favourable possibilities = {6C6=1, 6C5=6, 6C4=15}
Total possibilities = 45C6

Pr(event) = (1+6+15)/45C6 = 22/8145060

But the answers suggested 1135/8145060

Physics news on Phys.org
have you learned the inclusion /exclusion principle...if not i suggest looking it up.

If you can't find it then think about what are the relations between
6C6 6C5 6C4

also your summation is wrong...reread the question particularly the last 2 statements.

Funny. I get 1135/814506. Your stated answer is not in lowest terms, so I suspect a typo. You are only accounting for the ways of choosing winning numbers, you have to choose the correct number of losing numbers in each case as well.

neurocomp2003 said:
have you learned the inclusion /exclusion principle...if not i suggest looking it up.

If you can't find it then think about what are the relations between
6C6 6C5 6C4

also your summation is wrong...reread the question particularly the last 2 statements.

I am a bit lost here. I understand the inclusion/exclusion principle but don't see how it's applied here.

pivoxa15 said:
I am a bit lost here. I understand the inclusion/exclusion principle but don't see how it's applied here.

I don't either, but there are many more ways of picking four winning numbers than 6C4. You have two more numbers to choose.

Last edited:
my bad read the question wrong.

Dick said:
I don't either, but there are many more ways of picking four winning numbers than 6C4. You have two more numbers to choose.

Right. To get either 1st, 2nd or 3rd prize, the total number of combinations is 6C6*39C0 + 6C5*39C1 + 6C4*39C2. Total possibilities is 45C6.

So its (1+234+11115)/8145060 = 1135/814506

1. What is the 5th Combinatorial Question?

The 5th Combinatorial Question, also known as the fifth combinatorial problem, is a mathematical problem that involves finding the number of ways to choose a specific number of objects from a larger set without replacement. It is one of the most well-known combinatorial problems, along with the other four combinatorial problems.

2. What is the significance of the 5th Combinatorial Question?

The 5th Combinatorial Question is significant because it has many real-world applications, such as in probability, statistics, and computer science. It also serves as the basis for more complex combinatorial problems and is used in various fields to solve practical problems.

3. How is the 5th Combinatorial Question solved?

The 5th Combinatorial Question can be solved using the formula nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects in the set and r is the number of objects to be chosen. This formula is known as the combination formula and gives the number of combinations without repetition. Alternatively, it can also be solved using a combinatorial approach, which involves listing out all possible combinations and counting them.

4. Can the 5th Combinatorial Question be generalized?

Yes, the 5th Combinatorial Question can be generalized to include different scenarios, such as with replacement or with restrictions on which objects can be chosen. These variations can lead to different formulas or approaches for solving the problem.

5. Are there any real-world examples of the 5th Combinatorial Question?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of the 5th Combinatorial Question. For instance, it can be used to calculate the number of ways to select a team of players from a larger pool for a sports tournament, or the number of possible outcomes from a lottery drawing. It can also be applied in genetics to determine the number of possible gene combinations for offspring.