Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

5V booster and regulator

1. Jun 6, 2008 #1
    Hi experts! I want to incorporate a 5v booster and regulator into my circuit so that if people use 4 alkaline batteries or 4 nimh batteries it will always be 5v. Is there an easy way to do this? For example an IC and minimum external components rather than this: maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/544

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want the output to always be 5v, then I would say no -- That's as good as it gets.
    If you want simpler, then you need to change your requirements.
  4. Jun 7, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the reply! Its not how hard it is that i'm worrying about its cost. I need to keep costs minimum. If this is the only way then ok i'll have to raise my price. Thanks anyway
  5. Jun 7, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A switch-mode regulator can provide output voltages greater than the input voltage.
  6. Jun 7, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is what figuring out what the real requirements of your design is all about.
    Do you really need that kind of absolute regulation in the first place?
    Can you make other changes elsewhere that could eliminate this requirement?
  7. Jun 8, 2008 #6

Staff: Mentor

A boost-buck regulator is what is generally used with batteries that have an output voltage near the desired output voltage (especially when the input can droop down through the output voltage). The 3065 from On Semiconductor is an example:

You can get little evaluation modules with this chip and supporting circuitry on them. Very handy for 1-up prototypes, etc.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?