Get 5V from 9V Battery for TTL 7400 IC

• Thread starter muh_j18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, using a variable resistor to regulate voltage from a 9v battery to 5v for a ttl 7400 ic may not be effective for high current or variable current draw. It is recommended to use a linear voltage regulator such as an LM7805 for this purpose. These are easily accessible and cost-effective.
muh_j18
hi,
I'm working on a project where I'm using a ttl 7400 ic which need +5v Vcc, how can i use 5v from a battery 9v, variable resistor works?
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
muh_j18 said:
hi,
I'm working on a project where I'm using a ttl 7400 ic which need +5v Vcc, how can i use 5v from a battery 9v, variable resistor works?
thanks

That really doesn't work too well if you're drawing a lot of current, or something that has a lot of variable current draw. It's a lot easier to use a linear voltage regulator, something like an LM7805 (lots of companies make these--National Semiconductor, Texas Instruments, On Semiconductor, etc. etc.) They're cheap and pretty reliable.

I would recommend using a voltage regulator to regulate the 9V from the battery down to 5V for the TTL 7400 IC. This will ensure a stable and consistent voltage supply, which is important for the proper functioning of the IC. Using a variable resistor may work in some cases, but it may not provide a reliable and consistent voltage output. Additionally, using a voltage regulator will also protect the IC from any fluctuations in the battery voltage. I would suggest researching different types of voltage regulators and selecting one that best fits your project's needs.

1. How do I get 5V from a 9V battery for a TTL 7400 IC?

To get 5V from a 9V battery for a TTL 7400 IC, you will need to use a voltage regulator. This will regulate the voltage from the 9V battery down to 5V, which is the appropriate level for the IC.

2. Can I use any type of voltage regulator for this?

No, you will need to use a linear voltage regulator specifically designed for TTL logic circuits. These regulators have a low dropout voltage and are able to provide a stable 5V output.

3. How do I know which pins on the voltage regulator to connect to the 9V battery and the TTL 7400 IC?

The voltage regulator will have a datasheet that outlines the pinout and recommended connections. Typically, the input voltage from the battery will be connected to the input pin, and the output pin will be connected to the IC. Be sure to also connect the ground pin of the IC to the ground pin of the voltage regulator.

4. Can I use multiple TTL 7400 ICs with the same 5V output from the voltage regulator?

Yes, you can use multiple ICs with the same 5V output from the voltage regulator. However, be sure to check the datasheet of the IC to ensure that the maximum current draw is not exceeded.

5. Is there any way to get 5V directly from the 9V battery without using a voltage regulator?

No, a voltage regulator is necessary to convert the 9V down to 5V for the TTL 7400 IC. Attempting to use the 9V directly could damage the IC and other components.