How to solve for X in engineering economy problems involving annuities?

• Thread starter jove8414
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation 5X = (1+X)^15 and different approaches to solving it. One person suggests trying logarithms but was unsuccessful, while another recommends a numerical or graphical approach. They also mention the existence of an algebraic solution for polynomial equations of degree 4 or less, but not for those of degree 5 or higher. The conversation ends with a discussion about whether the solution must be algebraic or not and a possible typo in the original problem.
jove8414
5X = (1+X)^15

What to do with this kinds of problems? How do I solve for X? I encounter this problems on engineering economy(Annuities)... I tried doing logarithms but no success.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Jove,

What did you do to try logarithms ? Please post so we can see where things go wrong ...
However, perhaps a numerical approach is in order for this kind of exercise (e.g. if x should be a natural number).

It would be difficult to get. get a closed form solution. You will need to do a numerical approximation.
You have a polynomial of degree 15.

Last edited:
BvU said:
Hi Jove,

What did you do to try logarithms ? Please post so we can see where things go wrong ...
However, perhaps a numerical approach is in order for this kind of exercise (e.g. if x should be a natural number).

I tried changing the equations into logarithm form:
log(5X) = 15log(1+X)

and afterwards i still can't solve for X
PeroK said:
You won't get a closed form solution. You will need to do a numerical approximation.

Yeah the book also did the same (numerical approximation). I thought there's a way(s) to do it other than that :/

jove8414 said:
log(5X) = 15log(1+X)
one more step gets ##\log 5 + \log x = 15 \log (1+x)## and then it is indeed hopeless. So either a numerical approach or a graphical solution is the only way out.

## u = x +1## is an obvious substitution. There must be an algebraic solution but I don't know any advanced techniques for so high a power.

Is there a solution at all ? If I look at the numbers I don't think so !
Or at the graph

Last edited:
PeroK said:
## u = x +1## is an obvious substitution. There must be an algebraic solution but I don't know any advanced techniques for so high a power.
No "must" about it. There exist "algebraic solutions" for polynomial equations of degree 4 or less but there is no general "algebraic solution" for such equations of degree 5 or higher.

And the substitution u= x+ 1 just "shifts" the problem. You have [itex]u^{15}= 5(u- 1)[/itex], still a polynomial equation of degree 15.

BvU said:
Is there a solution at all ? If I look at the numbers I don't think so !
Or at the graph
By taking the log you assume that x+1>0 and eliminate solutions less than -1.

The same Wolfram Alpha will give a real solution of about -2.17, for the initial problem.

Likes BvU
I wonder how this answer fits in the annuity context, though :smile:

So jove, is your exercise really 5X = (1+X)^15 or does it ask what interest rate you need to have five times your initial deposit after 15 years ?

HallsofIvy said:
No "must" about it. There exist "algebraic solutions" for polynomial equations of degree 4 or less but there is no general "algebraic solution" for such equations of degree 5 or higher.

And the substitution u= x+ 1 just "shifts" the problem. You have [itex]u^{15}= 5(u- 1)[/itex], still a polynomial equation of degree 15.

The solutions to this equation must be algebraic, by definition.

nasu said:
What definition?
An "algebraic number" is one that is a solution of a non-zero polynomial equation in one variable with integer coefficients. Real numbers that are not "algebraic" are, instead, "transcendental".

However, these "algebraic numbers" may not be expressible in terms of elementary operations -- addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and root extraction, hence the Abel Ruffini theorem.

I meant algebraic numbers. And I was wondering about techniques to solve a particular equation. You don't necessarily need a general solution to every polynomial of order 15 in order to solve this one.

jove8414 said:
5X = (1+X)^15

What to do with this kinds of problems? How do I solve for X? I encounter this problems on engineering economy(Annuities)... I tried doing logarithms but no success.

BvU said:
I wonder how this answer fits in the annuity context, though :smile:
It does not of course; there appears to be a typo in the OP. A problem which does makes sense in the context of annuities (although it is a simple compound interest problem) is ## 5 = (1+x)^{15} ## which is easily solved for its unique real solution.

Likes jim mcnamara
I'd like to hear that from Jove himself (herself?) ...
(as in: post #11)

Likes pbuk

1. What is the equation 5X = (1+X)^15?

The equation 5X = (1+X)^15 is a mathematical expression where the left side of the equation is 5 times a variable, X, and the right side is the sum of 1 and the variable X raised to the 15th power.

2. How do you solve for X in the equation 5X = (1+X)^15?

To solve for X, you can use algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. In this case, you can divide both sides by 5 to get X = (1+X)^15 / 5. From there, you can use exponent rules and further simplify the equation to solve for X.

3. What are the steps to solving this equation?

The steps to solving the equation 5X = (1+X)^15 are as follows:

1. Divide both sides by 5 to isolate the variable X.
  2. Raise both sides to the 1/15 power to remove the exponent on the right side.
  3. Use the exponent rule (a^b / a^c = a^(b-c)) to simplify the right side of the equation.
  4. Distribute the exponent of 1/15 to the terms within the parentheses.
  5. Simplify the equation further if possible.
  6. Check the solution by plugging the value of X back into the original equation.

4. Is there more than one solution to this equation?

Yes, there can be more than one solution to this equation. Since the equation contains an exponent, there can be multiple values of X that satisfy the equation. It is important to check the solution by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure it is valid.

5. Can this equation be solved without using algebraic manipulation?

No, this equation cannot be solved without using algebraic manipulation. In order to isolate the variable on one side of the equation, you must use algebraic operations such as division and exponent rules. However, there may be alternative methods or shortcuts that can make the solving process more efficient.