What is the solution to 6÷2(1+2)?

• Thread starter Ese
  • Start date
In summary, the equation 6÷2(1+2) has a correct answer of 1. Some people may think the answer is 9 due to misunderstanding of the order of operations. The order of operations affects the result of this equation by determining the order in which mathematical operations should be performed. The answer to this equation cannot be interpreted differently as the order of operations is a universally accepted standard in mathematics. This equation serves as a reminder to follow the order of operations and highlights the importance of clear communication and understanding in mathematical concepts.
Ese
6÷2(1+2) = ... 1 or 9?

6÷2(1+2)

I'm confused please tell me the answer and explain.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Look at the post "Sticky: 48÷2(9+3) and similar" just above...

Sorry. Thanks!

But can you explain to me why 9?
I need a clarified explanation for me to answer a friend of mine's question. I know it's 9 but it's very hard to explain to others by my knowledge alone.

Last edited:

Not this again... Look at the sticky.

Do not post something like this again.

What is the correct answer to the equation 6÷2(1+2)?

The answer to this equation is 1. This is because according to the order of operations, the parentheses should be solved first, followed by multiplication and division from left to right.

Why do some people think the answer is 9?

Some people may think the answer is 9 because they incorrectly apply the distributive property to the equation, resulting in 6÷2(1+2) becoming 6÷2(3), which they then solve as 6÷6=9.

How does the order of operations affect the result of this equation?

The order of operations is a set of rules that determine the order in which mathematical operations should be performed. In this equation, the parentheses should be solved first, followed by multiplication and division from left to right. Therefore, the result is 1 and not 9.

Can the answer to this equation be interpreted differently?

No, the answer to this equation is not open to interpretation. The order of operations is a universally accepted standard in mathematics, and following it will always result in the same answer.

What can we learn from this equation and the confusion surrounding it?

This equation serves as a reminder of the importance of following the order of operations in mathematical equations. It also highlights the need for clear communication and understanding of mathematical concepts to avoid confusion and incorrect interpretations.