• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

6 Easy Questions

• Thread starter vandorin
  • Start date

Homework Statement

1.)is it possible to move in a curved path in the absence of a force? Defend your answer.
2.)What is the net force on a 1-N apple when you hold it at rest above your head? What is the net force when you release it?
3.)What is the net force acting on a 1-kg ball in free fall?
4.)When you kick a football, what action and reaction forces are involved, which force, if any, is greater?
5.)Does a baseball bat slow down when it hits a ball? Defend your answer.
6.) Two people of equal mass attempt a tug of war with a 12-m rope while standing on frictionless ice. When they pull of the rope, each of them slides toward the other. How do their accelerations compare, and how far does each person slide before they meet?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) I have no idea, I would think that the item would just follow the path, and if the path was curved it would curve too.
2.) 0, and then -10m/s because thats the rate at which it falls due to gravity.
3.)-10m/s?
4.)The foot kicking the ball, and the ball kicking the foot, and the foot kicking the ball would be greater.
5.) I don't know :(
6.)I don't know. :(

I have a test tommorow, and need answers before then, Thanks!!!

Answers and Replies

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Here are some hints.

1. Review Newton's 1st Law of Motion
2. Okay, but watch the units. They are asking for acceleration. Your answer is a velocity.
3. Again watch those units. They are asking for a force, not a velocity or acceleration. You may need to review Newton's 2nd Law of Motion.
4, 5, and 6. Review Newton's 3rd Law of Motion.

rock.freak667
Homework Helper
2.) 0, and then -10m/s because thats the rate at which it falls due to gravity.
10m/s is acceleration due to gravity, the force would just be its weight
3.)-10m/s?
Free fall implies that an object has reached terminal velocity. Now answer,what is terminal velocity?

4.)The foot kicking the ball, and the ball kicking the foot, and the foot kicking the ball would be greater.
From what law did you get these ("The foot kicking the ball, and the ball kicking the foot") forces from?
why would you think and the foot kicking the ball would be greater this?

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi vandorin! :smile:

I'll just add this to Redbelly98's good hints:
1.) I have no idea, I would think that the item would just follow the path, and if the path was curved it would curve too.
I think you're misunderstanding "path". The question means "curved path" in the abstract sense … in other words, simply a curve. :smile:
Free fall implies that an object has reached terminal velocity.
I don't think so, and nor does wikipedia. "Free fall" basically means falling, with no strings attached etc! :smile:

rock.freak667
Homework Helper
I don't think so, and nor does wikipedia. "Free fall" basically means falling, with no strings attached etc! :smile:
:confused: I always thought that at terminal velocity you are in free fall.