Calculate Force to Move Crate at Steady Speed

In summary, the question involves finding the horizontal force required to move a 30 kg crate at a steady speed across the floor, given a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.26. Using the equations ΣFx=max and Ff=μkFn, and knowing that the acceleration is 0 since the velocity is constant, the solution is Fp=76.44 N.
goluigi2196
1. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between a 30 kg crate and the floor is 0.26, what horizontal force is required to move the crate at a steady speed across the floor?Fp is the pushing force.

2. Homework Equations
ΣFx=max
ΣFy=0
FfkFn

solving for Fp I get...
Fp=max+Ff

The Attempt at a Solution

Fp=max+Ff
Fp=30ax+Ff

ok..there aren't enough known components...

FfkFn
Ffkmg
Ff=(0.26)(30)(9.8)
Ff=76.44

There's the friction variable :approve:. Plug that into the other equation...

Fp=30ax+76.44

I still have 2 variables missing:confused:. I need the acceleration. How do I find that?

Physics news on Phys.org

Acceleration is the change in velocity. In this case, do you have a change in velocity or is the velocity remaining constant?

Well it did say there's a steady speed. Wait...that means ax=0 right? Because if the velocity is constant that means that the acceleration is 0...I think...:uhh:

Yes, exactly.

oh wow. I guess I wasn't thinking there. :rofl:

and that means Fp=76.44 N..right? Because the ax cancels out and 30(0)=0.

Indeed.

Ok thanks.

What is the formula for calculating force to move a crate at steady speed?

The formula for calculating force to move a crate at steady speed is F = m x a, where F represents force in Newtons, m represents mass in kilograms, and a represents acceleration in meters per second squared.

What factors affect the amount of force needed to move a crate at steady speed?

The amount of force needed to move a crate at steady speed is affected by the mass of the crate, the coefficient of friction between the crate and the surface it is moving on, and the grade or incline of the surface.

How can I determine the mass of a crate in order to calculate the force needed to move it at steady speed?

The mass of a crate can be determined by weighing it using a scale or by using the dimensions of the crate and its material density to calculate its mass. Alternatively, if the crate is already in motion at a steady speed, the force needed to keep it moving can be measured and then used to calculate the mass using the formula F = m x a.

What is the role of friction in calculating the force needed to move a crate at steady speed?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and therefore plays a significant role in calculating the force needed to move a crate at steady speed. The coefficient of friction between the crate and the surface it is moving on is used in the formula for calculating force, and a higher coefficient of friction means more force is needed to overcome it and move the crate.

Can the force needed to move a crate at steady speed be reduced?

Yes, the force needed to move a crate at steady speed can be reduced by decreasing the mass of the crate, using a smoother surface with a lower coefficient of friction, or reducing the incline of the surface. Additionally, using tools such as wheels or pulleys can also reduce the force needed to move a crate at steady speed by leveraging mechanical advantage.