Roots of -8: Solving with Exponential Form

• Thread starter 31415
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the 6 roots of -8 through the use of complex numbers and exponential form. The solution given for the question has a minus sign in the exponent, but it is determined that both expressions are equivalent. The conversation also mentions the use of the principle argument and how it affects the answer.

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to find the 6 roots of -8 + 0i

we are told the usual method of for these problems is to put the complex number into it's exponential form like so

z = |z|exp( i(θ+2πk)) where k: [0 to n-1]

then put it to the relevant power 'n'

z1/n = |z|1/nexp(( i(θ+2πk)/n)

so I proceed by taking θ to be pi...

z1/6 = 81/6exp(( i(π+2πk)/6)

thinking the question is easy...

then in the solution given for the question the answer is 81/6exp(( i(-π+2πk)/6)

I don't understand where this minus has come from - is the solution wrong or am I missing something?

(picture of question and solution attached)

Attachments

• phys q.JPG
    phys q.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 419
  • phys q 2.JPG
    phys q 2.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Both expressions are the same 6 numbers, it's just that the value of k in one set is shifted by 1 with respect to the other set.

31415 said:

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to find the 6 roots of -8 + 0i

we are told the usual method of for these problems is to put the complex number into it's exponential form like so

z = |z|exp( i(θ+2πk)) where k: [0 to n-1]

then put it to the relevant power 'n'

z1/n = |z|1/nexp(( i(θ+2πk)/n)

so I proceed by taking θ to be pi...

z1/6 = 81/6exp(( i(π+2πk)/6)

thinking the question is easy...

then in the solution given for the question the answer is 81/6exp(( i(-π+2πk)/6)

I don't understand where this minus has come from - is the solution wrong or am I missing something?

You could always use
$$
w_k = r^{1/n}\left[\cos\frac{\theta + 2\pi k}{n}+i\sin\frac{\theta + 2\pi k}{n}\right]
$$
where ##n## is the number of roots in your case 6, ##\theta## is the angle, and ##k = 0,1,..,n-1##

Then ##r = 8## and ##\theta = \pi## where the principle argument is define as ##\theta\in (-\pi,\pi]##
So
$$
w_k = 8^{1/6}\left[\cos\frac{\pi + 2\pi k}{6}+i\sin\frac{\pi + 2\pi k}{6}\right] = 8^{1/6}\exp\left[i\frac{\pi + 2\pi k}{6}\right]
$$

So how could ##\pi## be negative? Simply define the the principle argument to be ##\theta\in [-\pi,\pi)##.

And sometimes it will be defined be excluding ##\pi## all together like ##\theta\in (-\pi,\pi)##

what minus sign? I see the -8+0i which you've handled by using pi for theta.

your answer looks right as it is.

ah i see when I take the principle arguments of each root then the answers agree - thanks all. Still don't understand why he decided to do it like that but I guess it doesn't matter :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=47370&d=1337277366.jpg

You're supposed to find the 6 sixth roots of -8 .

SammyS said:
You're supposed to find the 6 sixth roots of -8 .

yeah I know that - ... e^i*pi = -1

8 e^i*pi = -8

e^2*pi*k =1 for k: 0,1,2,3...

and when you plot them in the complex plane it will look like a six evenly spaced slices of a pizza pi with a centerline about the imaginary axis.

And of course you can write ##\sqrt{2}## in place of ##8^{1/6}## in your answer.

1. What is the exponential form for the square root of -8?

The exponential form for the square root of -8 is √(-8) = (-8)^(1/2).

2. How do you simplify the expression (-8)^(1/2)?

To simplify (-8)^(1/2), you can rewrite it as (√(-8))^2 and then use the property that (√a)^2 = a to get √(-8) = √(-1*2*2*2) = 2i√2.

3. Can you solve for the roots of -8 using only exponential form?

Yes, the roots of -8 can be solved using only exponential form. The two roots are √(-8) = 2i√2 and -√(-8) = -2i√2.

4. How do you graph the roots of -8 in the complex plane?

To graph the roots of -8 in the complex plane, you can plot the points (0, 2√2) and (0, -2√2) on the imaginary axis. These points represent the two roots, 2i√2 and -2i√2, respectively.

5. What is the relationship between the roots of -8 and the imaginary unit i?

The roots of -8, 2i√2 and -2i√2, are both complex numbers that involve the imaginary unit i. This is because the square root of -8 cannot be simplified to a real number, so it must be expressed in terms of i.