1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

6 roots of -8 issue

1. May 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm supposed to find the 6 roots of -8 + 0i

we are told the usual method of for these problems is to put the complex number into it's exponential form like so

z = |z|exp( i(θ+2πk)) where k: [0 to n-1]

then put it to the relevant power 'n'

z1/n = |z|1/nexp(( i(θ+2πk)/n)

so I proceed by taking θ to be pi...

z1/6 = 81/6exp(( i(π+2πk)/6)

thinking the question is easy...

then in the solution given for the question the answer is 81/6exp(( i(-π+2πk)/6)

I don't understand where this minus has come from - is the solution wrong or am I missing something?

(picture of question and solution attached)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2012 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Both expressions are the same 6 numbers, it's just that the value of k in one set is shifted by 1 with respect to the other set.

4. May 17, 2012 #3
    You could always use
    $$
    w_k = r^{1/n}\left[\cos\frac{\theta + 2\pi k}{n}+i\sin\frac{\theta + 2\pi k}{n}\right]
    $$
    where ##n## is the number of roots in your case 6, ##\theta## is the angle, and ##k = 0,1,..,n-1##

Then ##r = 8## and ##\theta = \pi## where the principle argument is define as ##\theta\in (-\pi,\pi]##
    So
    $$
    w_k = 8^{1/6}\left[\cos\frac{\pi + 2\pi k}{6}+i\sin\frac{\pi + 2\pi k}{6}\right] = 8^{1/6}\exp\left[i\frac{\pi + 2\pi k}{6}\right]
    $$

So how could ##\pi## be negative? Simply define the the principle argument to be ##\theta\in [-\pi,\pi)##.

And sometimes it will be defined be excluding ##\pi## all together like ##\theta\in (-\pi,\pi)##

5. May 17, 2012 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

what minus sign? I see the -8+0i which you've handled by using pi for theta.

your answer looks right as it is.

6. May 17, 2012 #5
    ah i see when I take the principle arguments of each root then the answers agree - thanks all. Still don't understand why he decided to do it like that but I guess it doesn't matter :)

7. May 17, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

attachment.php?attachmentid=47370&d=1337277366.jpg

You're supposed to find the 6 sixth roots of -8 .

8. May 17, 2012 #7
    yeah I know that - .... e^i*pi = -1

8 e^i*pi = -8

e^2*pi*k =1 for k: 0,1,2,3....

9. May 17, 2012 #8

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

and when you plot them in the complex plane it will look like a six evenly spaced slices of a pizza pi with a centerline about the imaginary axis.

10. May 17, 2012 #9
    And of course you can write ##\sqrt{2}## in place of ##8^{1/6}## in your answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook